How to record PayPal fees manually

How does one account for PayPal fees?

I marked my invoice as paid by method ‘PayPal’ and this tags the invoice to a payment.
But the bank entry is untagged, and doesn’t match the invoice anyway, because of the fee.

If anyone can explain this as they would explain it to a 12 year old, I’d be very grateful.

Many thanks

Hi @josegonzalezltd

The way PayPal transactions should be accounted, is similar to other payment processors (such as GoCardless, Sage Pay, etc.).

What you need is basically a holding account which represents the funds they hold which has been collected from your clients.

If you haven’t already, take a look at this guide, which may help: Accounting for income from a payment service provider

1 Like

Paypal is one of the most expensive ways around for accepting card payments. The trouble is that the public know the name and use a PP link to pay by card even when there is a link that says “pay by card” right beside it. I would always do my best to direct clients to a more cost effective service such as Stripe.

Processing for all card processors is the same. Create a holding account, pay the full amount of the invoice to there and then create a purchase for the charges. I do one consolidiated entry for charges at the end of the month. Stripe and GoCardless procide monthly invoices but, unless there is a report that I have yet tio find, I have to download a history report from PP as a CSV and total the charges column.

1 Like

Thank you - much appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.