How to record promotional gifts

Over the last 5 weeks I have run a promotion (competition draw) on my facebook page to reward frontline workers during the current Covid-19 epidemic with one of my products each free. Their is no cost to any individual entering. I understand the costs to me can only be recorded “at cost”, with each item costing approx’ £15. What is the best way, and how do I record these gifts.

Just create a new expense nominal and call it promotional gifts or something similar and tag the product purchase to that.

Thanks for that. I think I need to clarify a bit. I make products that utilise various materials from a number of suppliers. It not possible to attribute purchases with the ‘Gift’ tag as I’m only using a portion of the purchases in the manufacture of each gift. Is there a way to record these as an expense for their cost price although their is no actual financial transaction.

The easiest way. Would be to create a journal and move the cost price amount from your purchase nominal to a promotion nominal.

What this does is reduce one and increase the other. Can’t increase one without decreasing the other or in affect you claim the cost twice.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.