How to tag refund larger than the payment amount

Hi,

I am trying to tag a refund from a card machine supplier, however the refund is made up of 2 separate payments, therefore it wont match up the payments to the refund amount and just says the following:

‘Invoices with items posted to more than one nominal account will not appear here. For such cases a manual credit note will need to be applied.
No qualifying purchases could be found to refund against. Make sure the corresponding purchase has been logged before you attempt to process this refund.’

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

What exactly do you mean by “refund”? Is it a credit that cancels one or more invoices you had previously paid, or is it simply the return of money you had paid to them for something they have not yet invoiced you for?

If it’s a refund because of a credit note then you can simply enter a new purchase with a negative value in order to create an “ad hoc” credit note that it not directly derived from a specific purchase. But if it’s just the return of unallocated payments then I don’t think you can do it as a single transaction in QuickFile, you must “refund balance” for each of the unallocated payments individually.

It is credit for 2 separate subscription payments made from the business account for a card machine that the company had not supplied. They therefore refunded the amount as one payment back into the account. I think in this case your first suggestion will work? Ill try that thank you for your help.

If those two payments have been entered into your QuickFile as purchases (actually allocated to purchase invoices, not simply entered as payments on account with no invoice from the supplier) then yes, an ad hoc credit note will fix it.

That’s great thanks for your help

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.