Idiot's guide to MTD

It appears HMRC have now closed access to entering VAT Returns on line and are forcing the MTD route early.
I read through the help topics but I couldn’t see any instructions to signing on either in QF or HMRC.

Some (simple) guide would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Have a look here, hope it is helpful:

https://support.quickfile.co.uk/t/hmrc-tax-accounts-mtd-returns/24367

Thank you but I don’t see the link to “Find out more about MTD”.

here or on logging in page.
I assumed I am already registered but can find no way of confirming this, or not.

So when you click on view return deadlines what do you see?

Try this. Search Google for registering vat for Mtd, follow the links and see if it allows you or if it says your already registered.

Phew! Thanks, Paul.
Now for the next step.

I go to VAT Settings but find no link to " In your VAT Settings area ensure the boxes “Enable Online Filing” and “Use MTD Features”"

You need to remove the dashes in your vat number firstly.

Make sure the vat periods you’ve selected are the starting month not the ending month.

The start date should be the date you start using quickfile to submit returns, not the date you became vat registered.

Removed the dashes now all the boxes ticked, thanks.
Still no Enable Online Filing.

The page your seeing is when you’ve already enabled online filing so that’s good.

The issue is probably having to many failed linked attempts

Go to Reports then Hmrc and check that only one link is showing. If its failed or if you have multiple, delete them all.

Now set up your link again making sure to select organisation. Not individual.

HMRC check is OK?

But if I am not able to set Online Filing I’m stuck.

OK great. So now when you go to returns and create. Do you see a list of open vat periods?

Yes. Great! Thank you. Seems to have worked.
The returns due is somewhat puzzling:

since it’s showing my next period, Jan to end March open as if I can submit in advance.

No hmrc will have 1 or 2 open periods that are in the future sometimes. You’ll find it won’t submit till after the period end date.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.