Import duty refund - tagging

Can anyone suggest a way to tag a refund from HMRC - but regards an Import duty refund.

HMRC / UPS charged an import duty on a parcel incorrectly - approximately a year ago. we now have the refund and need to tag this. cant tag to HMRC as there is no option for Import duty… to find the UPS invoice is going to take ages as it was so long ago… plus even if we do find that invoice its way in the past and VAT is already done for those months - Its not VAT so wont change VAT at all, but just dont see a way to tag it now…

not VAT - this is import duties…

Many thanks
Clive

Hello @clivem

Can I ask how the Import duty was originally processed?

Are you sure about that? Import VAT is usually added on top of the import duty (i.e. you pay VAT on the goods-value-plus-duty, not just on the value of the goods) so if you’re getting some or all of the duty back you ought to be getting the applicable VAT back as well. Presumably you will have some sort of documentation from UPS relating to the refund that will show whether it’s purely duty or duty-plus-VAT-on-the-duty that they’ve refunded.

Hi Steve, it was added as below, in this case it was £53.11 duty. the issue i have is we cant credit the original invoice as it was a previous tax year which is now locked…

You can’t modify the original purchase but you can always create a credit note from it under the “more options” button at the top. By default it will set up the draft credit note to refund the whole purchase in full but you can edit it as needed before saving to match whatever documentation UPS have sent you breaking down the refund amount.

got it sorted - thanks Ian

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.