Important changes affecting “Large” and “Extra Large” accounts

Hello Glenn,

I think my account maybe mislabelled because we only set it up this year and added all details for the last 2.5 years. I only have a few transactions a month.

I really like QuickFile, but hadnt seen that the charge would start in December and it’s a tough month. Can the payments be spread monthly or can I pay in January?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Sara

If you’ve inputted 2.5 years worth of transactions in a year, it’s highly likely that it is a L or XL account. It counts entries by entry date, not the date of the transaction.

There’s nothing in place at the moment for monthly or quarterly plans, and I’m not sure if there are plans, but I’ll ask @Glenn to confirm shortly.

1 Like

Is there any way to move the recurring payment for this to a more convenient date in our calendar? 1st April would be great, but 1st January would be nice, too.

1 Like

Hi @iainhallam

At the moment it would just fall at 1 year after the activation date. For a lot of accounts this would be 1st December unless it was deferred. However, there may be an option of monthly payments in the future which you could use to push the date along

I’m disappointed that the first I heard QuickFile was becoming a paid-for service for my usage, when I was locked out of my account and ordered to sign up to the Power Subscription to continue accessing my data. There are 3 days left.

To be honest, £45+ VAT is reasonable, but not the manner in which I’ve learned about it and it’s been rolled out. No emails, direct mails, phone calls, nothing.

Had I been given enough notice I would probably have stayed but my bookkeeper and I have agreed to move over to QuickBooks, ideally with immediate effect, but 7 days isn’t enough notice especially over the weekend, in December.

Do I have to pay a full year for a fraction of the year I will be accessing my data?

Is there an easy way to export my data from QuickFile to QuickBooks especially the financial data? I have already managed to export the Clients and Suppliers but not the historical figures for them.

Thank you.

@homeopathical I’m sorry you feel that way but of course I respect your decision.

As I explained further up, we are a very small team here and making individual phone calls was never really possible for us. We did run a month long dashboard warning across accounts of all sizes (I see you acknowledged this on the 4th of November). We also used this forum and social media to provide as much advanced notice as we could.

You can download a full set of CSVs for your account by running a backup. These files are interchangeable so you should then be able to import them into another software application.

We are also flexible in providing a small extension should this be required.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply… and on a Saturday.

To be honest I can’t remember acknowledging the warning on 4th November. I probably had no idea I was running an L or XL account.

Thank you for your extension and information regarding porting CSVs across.

Cheers,

Al

1 Like

I have just logged in to find that my very small company that generates 2-6 invoices a week (average invoice amount £15) is classed as a Large or Extra Large account. We won’t be signing up to pay to produce invoices thanks as we have yet to be in profit. As a small, one person company that still operates from my home, I simply cannot afford this
Such a pity

@harryjoy It’s possible given your monthly volumes you have either bulk uploaded 100s of entries when you started out, or you are importing large number of personal transactions. If it’s the former then it would be a case of seeing when these entries slip out of the 12 month window. If it’s the latter then the best thing to do is remove any non-business entries from your books entirely.

You can get a more detailed report in Account Settings >> Company Settings, here you will see the number of ledger entries over a 12 month period and an option to drill down to see when and where they were entered. The threshold for large accounts is 1000+ entries.

Either way you should have a “defer for 7 days” option to give you time to assess things.

I haven’t bulk uploaded anything. My customers are simply the ones I have picked up as the business developed, most are not repeat customers but I will do as you say and defer.
As I said, it’s just a small business without the resources to pay for this kind of package at the moment
Thanks

Have tried to defer but I am out of time apparently and it says I can only use this feature once but I have only come across it today. However, it won’t let me use it so I cannot access anything.

Given the number of comments on this thread from customers who do not believe they are “large” businesses, have you considered revising the thresholds for ledger entry counts, or at least using more appropriate names? As I mentioned further back in this thread, any business generating an average of three sales and two purchases per week over a full year (and fewer than that if they use a merchant account like PayPal) will hit the 1000 threshold, but I don’t think many people would consider this to be a “large” level of activity.

What would people consider the dividing line between a small “hobby” business and a “proper” business, maybe 5 sales a week? I guess for many people the criterion would be the total value rather than the total number of sales, but I know that for QuickFile it’s the latter that determines your running costs.

1 Like

@harryjoy I see the defer period is there on your account. You shouldn’t have any issues accessing your account as I deferred it myself earlier. It may be that you were logged in at the time and I made this change, but logging entirely out and back in should work fine.

@ian_roberts we did look carefully at the splits before we introduced this pricing model. This is effectively the same grading we’ve used for Affinity since 2013. With the current thresholds where they are, there are still ~70% of accounts created in the last year that are either Small or Medium, this is also stripping out XS accounts to eliminate those that have possibly never been used.

There was no perfect way to quantify account size but using a rolling 12 month nominal ledger count was the closest method that would loosely reflect our own overheads.

Glen
Just wondering the account status is reviewed from time to time it take it how often is this?
If so when does this period run from and to?
If you pay now and your account is reviewed and drops below the 1000 limit will you get a part refund?
As im a gardener my work is very seasonal so I have 3-4 months that are very quite unfortunitly this has come right in my quite period so money is tight at present, I am kean to carry on using your service. It is my quite period due to the fact I am not visiting my clients as often as I do in the summer. Is there anyway of a subscription or breaking it down to two or four payments a year?

1 Like

Hi @Austin_Powell_A,

The ledger count is updated every 2-3 days, and is calculated on a rolling 12 month period, so today it would count 9th December 2014 to 8th December 2015. If you go to Account Settings and select Company Settings you will be able to see when the account was last checked.

If it drops down below the 1,000, unfortunately there isn’t an option for a refund.

There isn’t anything in place at the moment to break the price down, but there are plans to break this down to potentially monthly payments in the new year.

Dear Quickfile,

We became reliant on your services and in the last minute you introduce charges. Because we have been using quickfile for the past 3 years it will be difficult for us change to another software.

Your charges are not enormous but for a charity who depends on donations from the General public, you should have waved these charges for us.

It is also not possible to speak to anyone in your company as there is no telephone contact.

I think Quickfile should stick to its original plan of free accounting software and make it voluntary for clients to contribute.

Best regards,

Muhammed Drammeh

Hi @muhammeddrammeh

Unfortunately continuing as a free platform isn’t an option due to the costs involved in running and maintaining the workings behind QuickFile. As you quite rightly say £45+VAT isn’t an enormous charge, and is very reasonable when compared to similar software packages.

The option of phone sorry also isn’t feasible for us as we’re only a small team, but as you can see our forum support is quick (only 22 mins to respond to you). The fact that we don’t offer phone support helps us keep the costs low.

If you are a registered charity, there is an option for a discount, please take a look at @Glenn’s post here and send either one of us a private message if you wish:
http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/important-changes-affecting-large-and-extra-large-accounts/8260/86?u=qfsupport

Hi Glenn,

Would it be possible to offer us a 7-day deferral as we need to remove all our data from Quikfile? We were not expecting the changes or to be locked out and so were not prepared to have no access to anything after login. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Simon

@Simon-Inkpact this is not a problem. I will send you a PM to get the required info.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for 4 years of Quickfile which has been very useful.

I’m considering other options and would also like to find out how to defer and remove my data from Quickfile. Overall I have been satisfied with the software but as this is a business I am always looking to cut costs and so I will try another cloud accounting service before I part with my money.

Kind regards
Malcolm @ RoostDH limited