Important changes affecting “Large” and “Extra Large” accounts

Hi @tumshie

You may be correct - if you multiple invoices that could be condenses, then this would certain save on ledger entry count.

On an invoice, you can go to ‘More Options’ > ‘Show nominal ledger activity’ to see how the system manages an invoice in terms of number of entries. Each similar line (all General Sales for example) would be grouped together as @Lurch suggests.

What I would suggest you do however, before you go altering your invoices to try and achieve this, take a look at your ledger count to see how the count is made up. For reference, here’s my earlier post relating to this feature:
http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/important-changes-affecting-large-and-extra-large-accounts/8260/134?u=qfsupport

I hope that helps!

Hi Glenn

Unfortunately I would like to move to a new accounting software. I do not plan to do any more entries into my account however I need to access it to extract the figures to date and also have access to my previous years figures for reporting purposes. Please could you tell me how to go about this?

Hi @Stretch,

I’ll send you a private message to get some more details off you, and I’ll see what I can sort out. Look for a little green notification in the top right hand corner

I know I am a bit late tackling all this, but, I acknowledged the notice in Novemeber, and for some reason it didn’t really register that it was ME it would affect, I only work once a fortnight or so, so I think that the number of entires must be made up of purchase receipts, which have reduced dramatically in the last 6 months because of my work slowing down.

What I wanted to ask is, I am currently locked out of my account having already used up my seven days grace to send an emergency invoice before Christmas, which I promptly forgot I had done until sitting down to do some work today for the first time! If I leave my account ‘locked out’ awaiting payment, will it keep reassessing my ledger count? Then if/when I drop below the L/XL classification will it no longer ask me for payment to access? As I do anticipate this will happen soon as I say my activity has reduced significantly over the last year.

Any advice will be appreciated. I do also keep paper records of my accounts so I am not completely lost but I like the ease of quickfile and had hoped as a one person sewing teacher who doesn’t work more than 4 days a month I would stay in the small/med category.

Also I had to sign up for this account to be able to post a reply in the forum, so I am not sure whether this is linked to my actual quick file account or if I have made a new one!

Yes the ledger count will continue to be reassessed, if the count falls below the threshold there will no longer be a requirement to obtain a subscription.

The forum works on a different platform to the main QuickFile application so it is not linked to your account.

Thank you for the very prompt reply. Are there any plans to delete unpaid accounts after a certain period of time?

We don’t have any current plans to delete unpaid accounts. We will review this in the future and if such actions were taken we’d make sure that the account holder was duly notified in advance.

It’s a reasonable price to pay per year.
QuickFile is a GREAT software and I’m sure you need this money to keep going with good work! :smile:

Wish you all the best guys!.

2 Likes

Hi,

• Can I pay monthly?

• Are you implementing payroll?

• Can you advise on setting up clients accounts?

• Are the bank feeds going to become more reliable? (I’ve tried a couple of times with Natwest and the results were disastrous resulting in my Natwest account being locked out!)

• If I have to pay for the service then I now need to consider whether I should be using other software that do support these features.

QF has been great for me over the last 2 years as I’ve setup and grown my business from scratch. Because it’s been free I’ve come up with workarounds for the lack of payroll and also the fact that I have no way of easily operating client accounts within my QF account (I get round this by setting up nominal accounts for the clients and then subtracting/disregarding the credit in these accounts for profit/loss and balance sheet purposes - it’s a bit clumsy but it has worked for me). I’m now wary of paying - although £45 is great value, QF doesn’t actually do everything I want it to do and my accountant has been advising me for sometime now to switch to another service. Your reassurance/response would be much appreciated please.

Hi @ProudhouseProperty

I’ll try and address your points one by one for you

Can I pay monthly?

At this moment in time this isn’t possible. However as per @Glenn’s previous post above, this is something that’s planned.

Are you implementing implementing payroll?

What are you referring to in terms of payroll? There are some areas that we try not to stray into to remain focussed on the accounting functionality - payroll is one of these areas. The PayRoll site is one of the available services that integrate into QuickFile, and we are open to helping other services integrate too. We have an extensive and flexible API that enables this

Can you advise on setting up clients accounts?

We’re more than happy to help with any queries or issues you may have. We work on a community support basis, so please open a thread on this forum with your queries, and we’re (and the community) will try our best to help

Are the bank feeds going to become more reliable?

Hopefully. It’s a bit of a sticking point as this relys omn the banking industry for the most part. Unfortunately, they don’t support APIs to enable us to link directly. Other accounting software uses a third party service to do this, but even they come up against issues. There is a plan in place from the UK government to force UK banks run an API, which would hopefully overcome this issue. However, timescales aren’t confirmed.

If I have to pay for the service then I need to consider whether I should be using other software that do support these features

We’re more than happy to help in anyway we can in terms of use of the software, and we’re open to ideas. If you have a look at the forum, 6oull find that a lot of features in the software were born here.

I hope that helps. If you do have any further queries, please feel free to ask, and we’ll try our bestfeatures

Just to add a few points here:

RE: Payroll

We haven’t ruled out developing a payroll solution for QF. It is however a significant undertaking in terms of development and maintenance. If we were to go down this route it is likely that we’d need to introduce another tier to our pricing.

QuickFile works very well with “The Payroll Site”, so I would recommend taking a look at this. We would also gladly consider other API integration with suggested online Payroll systems.

RE: Bank Feeds

As @QFMathew mentioned, there’s really very little we can do here. None of the major UK banks provide any sort of open API access for 3rd party developers. This may however change with the new challenger banks (e.g. Fidor Bank, Atom Bank etc), there was also an announcment in last year’s Budget that will mandate banks to provide data feeds. Until customers start using the availability of “trusted bank feeds” in their decision on selecting banking services, we can only rely on intervention from government to force them down this route.

RE: Accountant Preferences

In my experience most accountants who actively try to dissuade their clients from using QuickFile have never used our software, or have used it for 5 minutes to extract some information from a client account and become frustrated that it doesn’t work exactly like Xero/Sage.

There’s also a good reason for accountants to want to put all their clients on the same software as this then reduces the amount of time they’re spending to learn different systems. In some cases accountants will also earn referral income from signing up clients. All I’m saying here is your accountant’s recommendations may not align with your own best interests.

3 Likes

I have no problem with the charging but looking at some of the comments I think that there has been a basic PR issue in that the QF definition of “large” didn’t tally with the self image of the businesses concerned. Perhaps going forward the bands should be re-labelled at some point.

2 Likes

I don`t see the link to pay for this service
When can people from out side the uk start using and making invoices

Hi @roversd1

Have you been prompted to pay for this service? If not you wouldn’t be required to as your account would most likely fall into the XS, S or M categories. However, you can purchase this if you wish to access the features under Help > Additional Services

As QuickFile is a UK based company, the software is built for the UK market. I’m not sure if there are plans to expand outside of the UK given the work involved, however, I will check with @Glenn and one of us will confirm it for you

[Edit]
I’ve tried to look for your account, but can’t seem to find it. If you would can confirm your account number, I’d happily check if you require a Power User Subscription for you

hi

my account number is6131464354

thomas

Hi @roversd1

Thank you for your account number. I can see that a purchase of the Power User Subscription was completed on your account yesterday, and will expire on 17th January 2017. Your account does fall into the L category, so this would be required to continue accessing your account.

I hope that helps.

I’ve logged on this morning and can’t access my account. I didn’t think I was a large or extra large user but now I can’t access my account to check. How can I do this please?

Hi @TinyMovers

I’ll send you a private message now to get some more info. Please look out for the notification in the top right hand corner.

Because Quickfile was free, we began using the system in April 2015 as a possible alternative to Sage. However, although we like many aspects of Quickfile, it does not really allow for CIS accounting,. We have therefore decided to go back to Sage after our Year End in March 2016 (April/May to allow for finalising accounts). Although we agree the new charge is not unreasonable if we were to continue with Quickfile, must we still pay despite the fact that we will not be using the system for our next accounting period?

1 Like

@paulmuir did you receive my email? I replied to your support ticket a few days ago.