Invoice keep going into junk

Hi Guys,

I constantly keep having to chase customer who haven’t opened their invoices only to be told they have gone into thier junk folder.

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Smith

Thank you for highlighting this, can I just ask if there is any particular email domain this is happening with? For example, does it seem to be hotmail accounts or gmail accounts?

Sadly “it was in the spam folder” has replaced “the cheque is in the post” as the standard excuse. In some cases it may even have gone to spam and that seems to be a more frequent problem recently which suggests that one of the main commercial spam checking algorithms has been updated.

If you are sending through Quickfile’s own email server try changing to your own SMTP server.

Hi Mainly seem to be school .sch

Hi @Paul_Smith

With problems such as this, you may need to get the recipient to contact their tech support so that they can classify you as safe sender. Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do to prevent this from happening.

Yes you can. This is an ongoing issue that is getting worse. If they weren’t HTML emails with embedded links they wouldn’t end up in junk. You can do something about this, you can give us the option to send plain text emails.

Stop putting the problem on the customers end.

Hi @Lurch

We have run tests on the emails that we send out - none are flagged by blacklists are being problematic. We continue to look at ways to improve this however and do take your feedback on board.

One thing to note however, is it appears that some providers in particular don’t like the “reply-to” address being different to the senders address, which is why the SMTP setup resolves this (as suggested by @FolkLondon above).

Mine have always been sent out by my own SMTP server. Usually it’s SpamAssasin that I get the reports on when I see them flagged myself, and I have reports of customers with several different providers (their own hosts or Gmail amongst others) finding my invoices in their spam folder. I also have 2 customers who have sent me invoices from Quickfile both end up in junk. With the volume I see ending up being marked as spam I am genuinely surprised this is news to you at this point.

Example SpamAssassin Report;

Content analysis details: (6.6 points, 4.6 required)

pts rule name description
---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
-0.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE RBL: Sender listed at https://www.dnswl.org/, no trust [54.240.8.35 listed in list.dnswl.org]
3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100% [score: 0.9962]
0.0 HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS From and EnvelopeFrom 2nd level mail domains are different
0.0 SPF_HELO_NONE SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record
0.5 GMD_PDF_SQUARE BODY: Contains pdf 180-360 (high) x 180-360 (wide)
0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
1.5 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_20 BODY: HTML: images with 1600-2000 bytes of words
1.0 MIME_NO_TEXT No (properly identified) text body parts
0.0 T_REMOTE_IMAGE Message contains an external image

Content analysis details: (4.8 points, 4.6 required)

pts rule name description
---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
-0.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE RBL: Sender listed at https://www.dnswl.org/, no trust [54.240.8.97 listed in list.dnswl.org]
1.5 BAYES_60 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 60 to 80%
[score: 0.6131]
0.0 SPF_HELO_NONE SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record
0.2 HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS From and EnvelopeFrom 2nd level
mail domains are different
1.5 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_20 BODY: HTML: images with 1600-2000 bytes of words
0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
0.5 GMD_PDF_SQUARE BODY: Contains pdf 180-360 (high) x 180-360 (wide)
1.0 MIME_NO_TEXT No (properly identified) text body parts
0.0 T_REMOTE_IMAGE Message contains an external image

I’ve worked extensively with other platforms that use different from addresses to the reply to address and usually its down to the message headers not being formatted correctly.

There shouldn’t be any reason why a from address that differs should cause an issue.

If the mail server used accepts a different from address as part of the message header this should solve the issue.

Only when using the Quickfile mail server. Even when you use your own mail server so the from/replyto etc are all the same it still all ends up in junk.

We are having the same issue.
We manage both sides of the Office365 side of things on our side and the client side.
It’s quarantining because it’s classifying the email content as a phishing attempt.
It looks like it might be the link that gets sent out.
It would be good for Quickfile to look into this issue seriously as I imagine it’s happening to alot of their clients.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.