Invoice Paid after comission

Hi there,
I have a client who raises invoices to their Agent for, say £1,000. The Agent deducts 10% commission and only pays them £900.
Is there a way to log this on the invoice so that it also populates a “Commission” cost line in the P&L (as well as £900 revenue)?
Thanks

If they’re not vat registered then they could create a suitable custom expense code for the commission and set it as able to be used on sales invoices, then create a negative line on the sales invoice for the commission and use the :gear: button in the line description box to switch it to the expense code.

But if they are VAT registered then they’ll have to do a separate sales invoice for the total income, purchase invoice for the commission, and use a holding account to net things off. The negative sales line approach gives the correct P&L but would report things in the wrong boxes on the VAT return (the commission would be a reduction on boxes 1 and 6 instead of an addition to boxes 4 and 7).

It’d be £1000 revenue, £100 cost, £900 net profit.

Thanks.
If we were to use the “Discount” line on the invoice instead, does that populate a “Discounts” line in the P&L?

If you’re talking about the discount percentage box at the top of the invoice editing form then I’m afraid I don’t know, hopefully someone from QuickFile staff will be able to advise.

If you’re talking about adding a new line to the invoice, then it’ll populate whatever nominal code you tell it to use in the :gear: popup.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.