Is there a way to keep the left hand side menu expanded?

Hi Guys,

Can I just add my view as well to the crowd…

I would also like the side menu’s restoring as it takes a longer to do some tasks without it.

I realise this was done for mobile devices but apart from the current fashion, we all know touch screen/mobile devices are great for reading/decent for browsing but for actually entering data you cannot beat a PC/Laptop/Mac and all these devices have a screen which is wider than it is tall.

Fashion is for clothing not for OS’s and applications!

Hi @CaptainNick

Thank you for your feedback.

If you have a Power User Subscription, have you tried the CSS code @Glenn posted above? This would keep the left hand menu expanded and would save you having to expand it every time. If you need help with this, please let me know.

It’s not about what’s fashionable. I’d rather we were making decisions based on user analytics, rather than industry trends. In this case just under 11% of dashboard hits were served to mobile/tablet devices in the last year, an increase of ~1% on the year previous.

I would suspect a decent number of those on mobile devices are logging in to retrieve information rather than actually working on their accounts. Either way there remains a case to make some of the key areas in QuickFile more mobile responsive. Obviously this shouldn’t be done to the detriment of regular desktop users and in fact the left hand menu was collapsed primarily because it was duplicating options in the top menu.

As mentioned already, we plan to re-purpose the left hand menu to display customisable quick links, when this is done we will either make it responsive or provide an account level option to control the visibility. In the mean time the CSS fix should work just fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the response chaps! :slight_smile:

I have an Affinity subscription so does that mean that I don’t get the CSS option?

Having an account level option along with configurable links is definitely the way to go as I am very much in favour of choice and the platform benefits the more functional/configurable it is.

Quick update here…

We have started work on the new “Quick Links” system. Once this has been implemented the appearance of the left hand menu will be responsive, i.e. if your screen is big enough we’ll show it by default, otherwise it will be collapsed.

OK so following on from this discussion, you may have now noticed that we’ve just updated the left hand menu to be fully customisable. You can now add your own links to internal QuickFile pages and 3rd party websites. Each team member for a single account will have the option to create their own menu system.

In regards to the original question about keeping the menu open on larger displays, although we haven’t introduced an account level setting for this, the menu visibility is now responsive. The menu will automatically show where there is sufficient horizontal space, for smaller viewports it will be hidden with a toggle to make it visible.

Any feedback is welcome, for help using the new menu we’ve produced a short guide here.

Menu good!

In the KB article I would maybe mention how to create some more useful/advanced links, like e.g. to create a link to create an invoice for a particular client use https://dashboard.quickfile.co.uk/sales/create?clientID=xxxxxx, or maybe even add some of these options to the menu option creation menu, so pick a function and then pick a client from some dropdowns and then you get a menu option doing the thing selected.

1 Like

This might be a silly question, but how does one now find the document manager? The receipt hub is in the purchases drop-down menu, and I always used to get to the document manager via the left-hand vertical menu on the receipt hub page, but that has now gone. Any ideas?

Document manager can now be found under Account Settings > Tools

1 Like

I have a MacBook Pro and I’ve noticed that when I am using the laptop on its own built-in screen the left hand menu is visible by default, but when I plug in to an external monitor without changing the window size the menu is hidden. This suggests that the responsiveness isn’t taking into account the display DPI - the internal screen is a HiDPI (“retina”) display at 144 pixels per inch but the external one is the normal 72ppi, so the same visible size of window is reported as twice the number of pixels in each direction on one compared to the other.

Ok that’s interesting, I’ve escalated this and will report back.

@ian_roberts a small change has been made to the dashboard. Can you please let me know if this has made a difference?

Seems to have done so, yes.

1 Like

Ok that’s great… some pages may still render incorrectly until we do a full deployment, although at least we know the cause now. As it happens we were missing a vital meta tag to set the viewport scale.

1 Like

Hi Glenn,
I’ve tried the CSS in all number of different configs and its not working? My whole office would like the original side bar back will the CSS automatically bring it back for them as well as I am the primary user or will they each have to do the CSS as well?

Hi @damndit

The CSS is no longer required. The sub menu will now arise providing your screen is big enough. The only difference now however, is that the links are customisable.

When you log in, if your screen is big enough, the menu will appear along with instructions and options to customise it

Thanks Support,
But how do i go about getting the original side bar back, i can’t remember the lay out and really don’t want to go through adding each link manually, is there a quick way of just getting the original side bar back thanks?

Hi @damndit

The old menu was removed to make way for the customisable menu, so there’s no way to get the exact links back at the click of a button. That said, let me confirm with my colleague, as we may have a record of what the links were prior to being removed (that being common links, or those appearing on the dashboard).

In the meantime, all links that were on the left can be found across the top. If you’re struggling to find a particular one, please let me know and we’ll try our best to help.

We now have a simple tool where we can deploy a menu that matches what was on the dashboard LH menu prior to the change.

We would just need a QuickFile account number to deploy this menu (PM me or @QFMathew). You’d also need to ensure there are no pre-existing custom links as this tool will not overwrite any existing menu customisations.

Can you deploy the old menu for me please. I don’t have the trust level to PM, but probably shouldn’t post my account number publicly.

Thanks