Journalling SMP and SMP Compensation

We have an employee that’s just started maternity leave. I’ve successfully posted the FPS and EPS to HMRC and now need to account for it in QuickFile.

I understand HMRC offset SMP against PAYE/NI, so my thought was to journal it by debiting 2211 (National Insurance) with the amount of SMP paid (with a corresponding credit to Net Wages), thus reducing the overall payment due to HMRC next quarter. I don’t know if that’s “correct”, but it at least balances.

However, what it doesn’t do is account for the 3% "SMP Compensation” amount of £15.05 that’s arisen in addition to the SMP paid out. I see it will also reduce the net payment due to HMRC, but I’m not sure where it slots into the accounts. Should I journal it with the associated payroll journal or separately? And which nominals to debit/credit? Where does 7011 SMP Reclaimed fit in?

I’ve asked our accountant (and will post the response if I get an answer, as it’ll surely be useful to others) but wondered if anyone else had already solved this? There doesn’t seem to be an entirely relevant answer already on the forum.

Hello @The_Toaster

This is definitely a question for you accountant I would think.

Its not something the support team can help with unfortunately.

If it helps I did find this thread on a third party forum.

1 Like

Thanks for that, Steve. Definitely useful.

The thread sheds some light on the issue, but still doesn’t really explain how to balance the extra compensation amount within the payroll journal.

Our accountant has promised an answer and I’ll post it here when we have it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.