Linking transactions relating to a currency exchange between accounts

I have a GBP account and a USD account. I have transferred £100 from the GBP account and a corresponding $135 has appeared in my USD account.

Note: both of these transactions have already been created in QuickFile via automatic bank feeds set up on both accounts.

How do I link these as a transfer?

I have found this topic but this is suggesting that you create a transaction in one, tag it as a transfer to the other (specifying the destination amount), and a new transaction will be created in the other.

But I already have a transaction on either side… and both sides are already the correct amounts. I don’t want to create any new transaction, I just want to link the existing two transactions.

Is this possible?

Choose one of them (it doesn’t matter which) and tag it as a bank transfer to the other account - QF will realise the two accounts are in different currencies (assuming you set them up correctly ie one as USD and one as GBP) and you’ll will see a box that asks you how many of the other currency you got.

Then go to the other bank account and you will find a duplicate entry one will be tagged and the other will not be tagged, delete the I tagged one and all will be good.

The auto feed may bring back the non tagged one for a few days - just delete it.

I agree it would be better if QF could match them like it does for payment of invoices where the paying and invoices currencies are different but I’ve never worked out how to do that.

That works for me. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation, @Vistaro. Like you, I had hoped that there would be a way of linking two existing entries, as it seems slightly kludgy to have to create a duplicate transaction (part of which involves having to look up the correct value in the first place, even though it’s already entered into QF via the bank feed), and then deleting the original transaction, and then dealing with further duplicates coming in from the feed.

Perhaps this could be treated a feature request @QFMathew? :slight_smile: Thanks.

EDIT… I take it back… it seems like this is already implemented… is it new? Have you not seen this before, @Vistaro? When I tag the GBP amount as a transfer to the USD account and enter the USD amount, I’m offered the chance to choose a matching transaction:

Excellent! It would be even better IMHO if you didn’t even have to look up the destination amount, with QF offering you to choose from any transactions on the same date (or maybe within a day) and within e.g. 5% of the source amount (applying the internal exchange rate)… that would be even quicker. But it’s good as it is, so thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.