Manual bank reconciliation

Just starting to use Quickfile, and I want to manually reconcile my bank statements.
I do not want to ‘feed’ my bank statements to Quickfile; I want to simply manage it myself.
Can you advise as to how this is done?
Thank-you.

If you keep on top of it then doing it this way isn’t too much hassle - I ran a business on QuickFile for 6 years without using any automated feeds except PayPal (briefly).

You can create transactions manually using the green button at the top of the bank statement view and these have exactly the same status as transactions imported from a feed or CSV - they start off untagged and you can tag them as normal, or they follow any auto tagging rules that you’ve set up. Also various actions automatically create pre-tagged transactions, most notably logging payments on an invoice or purchase.

Most of my money out transactions were supplier payments, which I’d typically create using “log payment” on the purchases screen. Most money in were settlement payments from my card provider or deposits of cash from the till - I entered them as manual transactions with a fixed description “{card-provider} settlement” or “bank deposit”, having created an auto tagging rule to tag those as transfers from the relevant merchant or petty cash account. The remaining oddities like wages, PAYE or VAT liability I just created and tagged manually.

It helps that I was able to automate pulling daily sales from my EPOS and making invoices in QuickFile, with the cash sales paid into petty cash and the card sales paid into the merchant accounts, and to pull data from my payroll system to make journals. With those in place it took me maybe five minutes a day to keep up to date, maybe a bit more on Mondays when the weekend transactions all came in at once on my internet banking. But the key is to keep on top of it - if I had a week away from the computer I might have to spend half an hour on the backlog.

1 Like

Hi Ian.

Thank-you so much for responding.

You mention “you can create transactions manually using the green button at
the top of the bank statement view”. However, there is no green button!

I can see one can log a payment from the “purchases”, not from “banking”.
However, how does one log a manual payment otherwise? (You mentioned that
“the remaining oddities like wages, PAYE or VAT liability I just created
and tagged manually”, but you didn’t say exactly how you did it.

I have looked everywhere.

Many thanks again.

Ah, ok, it’s blue now, I’m sure it used to be green but it’s been a year since I last used it…

Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 17.26.00

This is what it expands out to when you click the button

Enter the details and click “save”

and it shows up untagged just like it would from a bank feed

or like this if it matches an auto-tagging rule

Hi Ian.

Thank-you so much for responding again; it was very helpful this time. I
couldn’t find an explanation to this, but you explained it very concisely.

It’s a shame one couldn’t simply go to a training session, as it would only
take an hour or two when someone is showing you. This way one can spend
hours trying to figure out some simple transaction processes! I am,
however, getting there.

Thank-you once again.

Regards,

Eileen.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.