Metro bank feed update?

Hi Is there any update regarding the integration of metro bank feed in quickfile?
I called them and they said you would need to send your request to receive the feed of our company (PS). What can you do?
It is not convenient to have the main bank account of PS updated by manual uploads. It is never updated, payments are missed by other colleagues that don’t have access to the bank, and too much time splashed in all of this.
Please fix it.

1 Like

Hi @portuguesestory

Unfortunately there hasn’t been any change since our last update. Metro Bank doesn’t provide a standard Open Banking API like the other banks, but rather a modified interface, which means that unfortunately we’re not able to support it.

There’s more details here: Update regarding Metro Bank and Co-op Bank

But they say exactly the opposite. Metro Bank provides the data and most accounting software providers, not Quickfile, receive the Feed.
It looks like other accounting software providers care better for their clients.
Or are you planning to adapt?

From what i understand the Quickfile team work with open banking. I would imagine that if metro did support the right type of feed then open banking would know about it.

If they don’t offer the same standard of feed as the other banks i would think it’s metro who don’t care about their customers rather than quickfile. I’ve always found quickfile really caring in both their features and their support.

1 Like

Why don’t you visit the open banking website and check the list of providers. When you see Metro isn’t listed. You may feel differently.

Hi @portuguesestory

Please rest assured that we do care about all our users and are constantly working on improving the experience - whether that’s with new features or new integrations, with a good user experience in mind.

To comply with PSD2 (Payment Service Directive), banks are required to provide some sort of programmable access to your banking data. Many banks do this through an Open Banking API, which is more secure as passwords are never shared, and it’s valid for 90 days and has to be refreshed.

The other option is what they call a Modified Client Interface (MCI), which is what Metro has opted to provide. This is a more basic offering on their part, but more complex to introduce on our end.

Whereas the API offers a consistent way to communicate with the banks (e.g. the API for Santander is virtually identical to Barclays and Lloyds, etc.), the MCI is based around screen scraping, meaning each integration has to be adapted for the bank. If something changes without us being notified, this would break the integration, for example. This was one of the issues caused by older feeds such as Yodlee, and one that Open Banking aimed to resolve (and has done in many ways).

My colleague highlights this better than I can, in the post I linked to above:

The MCIs provide the minimum needed to stay PSD2 compliant, and remain dependent on screen-scraping and disclosure of online banking credentials, which from a security perspective is far from the recommended best practice.

Unfortunately developing a very complex and potentially unstable integration on the MCI platform is not a good use of our finite developer resources and will fail to deliver a good user experience.

If Metro Bank introduces an Open Banking API, we are more than happy to add support for them. I would encourage you to express your concerns about this with the bank directly, as unfortunately, they are the only ones who can change their approach at this time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.