My invoice numbering now includes letters

my invoices are generating the same number with different letters following each number.

i want consecutive numbers

Hello @djforme

The automatic invoice numbering takes your newest invoice and adds 1, so:
00005 becomes 00006
90163 becomes 90164
0123A becomes 0123B
And so on.

But each invoice can be manually overridden in the top right options. Just bear in mind that if you change it, the above will reapply to that invoice number. You should also try to be consistent with your invoice numbering to leave a clear audit trail, should HMRC raise any queries.

This reply sounds great but dissent explain why the programme just started giving me letters after the numbers .
Is there an easy way to rectify this other than manually changing every number

It wouldn’t just introduce a letter - it would have to find one somewhere to start increase it. Perhaps a letter has been introduced (even by accident) on one of your invoices?

If you view your invoice list and order by invoice reference (with the latest letter invoice at the top), just scrolling through the list should help identify where the letters first appeared.

But of course, if you need help, let me know and we can take a look for you.

As it increases from the previous invoice, just change the next one and the others should follow automatically.

So if I take out the letter where it started will the others that follow be amended automatically’?

No, existing invoices won’t be updated. Only new ones will.

So if you create your next invoice and remove the letter, the one after that will follow because of the method explained above - we take the last invoice number and add 1.

Would it be worth manually changing all of the previous ones will letters manually to consecutive numbers. I only ask as my year end is due shortly

It depends. If there are quite a few of them, I’d be inclined to say no, especially if all they have all been issued to your clients as it would then mean your record doesn’t match theirs - not necessarily an issue, but it may just cause confusion and complication.

If it’s only a handful of invoices, then you could update the numbering and re-issue them.

Of course, if they are just internal records (like shop takings for example), then it shouldn’t be a problem at all.

That’s extremely helpful I’m sorry I didn’t ask before.
Thank you

No problem at all - glad we could help!

Please let us know if you need any further help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.