New Dashboard Bug

Hi,

I am using the new dashboard on our account and most months look fine with the year on year comparison

However for some reason for October the purchase amount and sale volume from the previous 12 months is massively off compared to what was actually taken and the purchases actually made

Assume this is just a small bug and not sure if its been picked up yet

Thanks

Hi @benjam3,

Are you able to give some more information on this, when you say it’s massively off - in what way?

as in the figures are do not match the figure that are showing in the profit and loss report by a longshot not just a few hundred pounds but a a few thousand.

is this for October 2020 or October 2019? It may be easier if you could send a private message to @QFSupport with some screenshots to show the anomaly so that we can investigate further

The bar charts on the dashboard give the totals from the sales and purchase invoices, which will be different from the P&L numbers for a number of reasons:

• sale/purchase totals are inclusive of VAT, P&L excludes VAT
  • purchases/sales can be attributed to or split across different nominal codes - they all count towards the bar charts
  • in particular, purchases of assets count in the dashboard bar charts but they won’t appear in your P&L at all as they are balance sheet codes
  • if you’ve made any year end corrections in journals, those won’t be reflected in the bar charts

Unfortunately it isn’t to do with the points you have raised. I know there will be some difference but we are talking a about a difference of 80% less than the P&L is showing for both sales and purchases.

Thanks anyhow :slight_smile:

Hang on, I’ve just realised what you mean - for this month last year I’m seeing the same effect. I’ve done a bit of digging and it looks like for the year-on-year comparison of the current month it’s only including part of the month to match this year. Looking today on 6th October 2020, the October 2019 bar exactly matches the total of my sales from 1st-7th October 2019 inclusive. Not sure why it should be the 7th rather than 6th but it’s clearly something related to the date ranges being compared.

Complete months from November last year up to September this year are fine.

Ahh okay,

so its going to update that daily then rather than for the month then? I just assumed it would be showing the whole month of the previous year on the dashboard and this is where I was getting lost

I guess its a good comparison to see if you are on track to be ahead of last year at the current point in the month.

Problem shared is a problem solved in this case :wink:

3 Likes

There is indeed a problem here… we’re looking into this as a priority.

A nice fix might be to make the bar charts cover 13 months instead of 12, that way you can have the month-to-date comparison for this October vs last October, but also the complete month for last October vs the October before that.

This is also nice because in the current setup it’s impossible to ever see a full 12 months of bar charts unless you get all your sales and purchases for month X inputted up to date before the end of the last day of that month, and snapshot the bar chart before the stroke of midnight.

Can you please recheck now?

@ian_roberts The issue with the YoY comparison is that the end date of 6th October this year was dialing back exactly 12 months and feeding in as the end date for the 18/19 year. We now adjusted to cursor forward to the end of that month.

It’s now showing the whole of October last year in the YoY grey bars, yes.

… and I guess the 12 months was actually 365 days, which would explain the 7th October thing (because of the leap year, 365 days back from 6th Oct 2020 is 7th Oct 2019)

We don’t specify a number of days, but we use today’s date minus 12 months which would account for any leap years. I’m not sure why that would be but I’ll look into it.