Not allowing me to Submit Tax Return

Hello,
It’s my first time filling out the Tax return form. When I press the SUBMIT button I get the following Error: Under the Making Tax Digital rules VAT returns should be supported by accounting records. This VAT return appears to consist only of adjustments and cannot be submitted to HMRC. If you prefer to submit your return from an Excel document then please use the VAT bridging module instead.

Can anyone advise? It’s just one invoice for now!

Hello @SpadeInteriors

As the error states “Under the Making Tax Digital rules VAT returns should be supported by accounting records.”

This means you can not submit a return made up of only manual adjustments.

It’s just one invoice for now!

I have had a look at your account and there are no Sales or purchases invoices entered.

Once you enter your invoice (and pay it off as you are on cash accounting) it will show up on the return and you will be able to submit it.

THanks for the response. I’ve now updated and added that invoice but it still wont’ allow me to submit.
Am I missing something linking it?

Hello @SpadeInteriors

The invoice is dated 24/04/23 but the payment date is 07/09/23.

As you are on cash accounting it is the payment dated (the tax point) which is used to assign the invoices to the return.

As it stands these invoices will fall into the 1 Jul 2023 - 30 Sep 2023 return because of the payment dates.

If the payment date is incorrect you can edit it in the bank screen.

Yes this worked, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.