Online VAT filing is not enabled but cannot change existing settings without providing HMRC user ID

In page: ./secure/reports/VatReturns/settings.aspx

I am trying to change our flat rate vat percentage to the new 16.5% limited cost trader level.
I am unable to save the settings without the following red error heading:-

“Please provide a valid HMRC user ID (do not enter your email address here)”

I have not selected the online filing option, nor intend doing so at the moment, so I believe the HMRC details should not be required to save the changed percentage.

I therefore believe this to be a bug,
Please advise.

Hi @richfirst

I’m not able to replicate this on my end. Would you kindly provide me with what option you’ve selected on the VAT settings page page?

For example:

• VAT Method - cash or accrual?
  • Flat rate scheme - ticked or not?
  • VAT Period
  • etc.

Hopefully I can replicate your set up and the issue, and ask our development team to investigate.

Cash
Flat rate = TICKED
Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec
01/12/2016
Enable online filing = NOT TICKED

I was trying to change the percentage, but I have just been reminded that it is still within the initial discounted period so does not need to be changed.

I still believe it is a bug that I cannot make changes without supplying HMRC ID, when online filing has not been enabled.

I hope this helps narrow down the problem.

You are right, there is an issue here. It appears that an email address was at some point saved as your HMRC User ID. We later added a check to ensure users don’t insert email addresses in this box, but we’re still apparently checking this in the background, even when the online filing is not enabled.

I’ve cleared that email address so it should work fine now, I’ve also asked for the underlying issue to be resolved.