Out of Scope Sales

Hi

I sell digital products and asked on the HMRC forum if sales to US / EU needed to included on the VAT form. Their reply is as follows:

'If you are making digital supplies to consumers in the EU then you would either have to register for VAT in all the member states where you make supplies to or register for MOSS(OSS) in a country of your choosing.

These supplies would still need to be recorded on your VAT return as Outside The Scope supplies,

If you are supplying services outside the EU then ,again,the supplies would be Outside The Scope of UK VAT and would still need to be recorded on your VAT return’

I have tried to create a sales invoice and have indicated that it is out of scope but according to the notes on Quickfile, ‘out of scope invoices’ are not included on the VAT return - see below:

Out of Scope Use this option when you want to completely exclude the invoice from your VAT return.

Is this a bug or have I been given the wrong information by HMRC?

Thanks!

Hello @JemimaPuddleduck

Here is the link to our vat rates
https://support.quickfile.co.uk/t/vat-rates-explained/8928

Marking something Out of scope would exclude it from the return completely.

Which boxes are you trying to show these values in?

The below article may help, alternatively you may wish to consult your accountant for professional advice.

https://support.quickfile.co.uk/t/vat-options-explained/40202

Hi @QFSteve

Thank you for your response. I am creating a Sales Invoice, going to the ‘Additional VAT Options’ and ticking the ‘Out of Scope for UK VAT’ box.

When I create the VAT return, the invoice is not included.

Should the sale appear in Box 6 (Total value of sales excl VAT) although Box (VAT due on sales & other outputs) will obviously not include it?

Many thanks.

HMRC’s reply indicated that ‘These supplies would still need to be recorded on your VAT return as Outside The Scope supplies’

The following guidance notes also indicate that these should be included in Box 6

3.7 Filling in box 6

Box 6 total value of sales and all other outputs excluding any VAT

Show the total value of all your business sales and other specific outputs but leave out any VAT. Some examples are:

• zero-rated, reduced rate and exempt supplies
  • fuel scale charges (read Motoring expenses (VAT Notice 700/64))
  • exports
  • supplies to EU member states, if the goods are moved from Northern Ireland (that is any figure entered in box 8)
  • supplies of installed or assembled goods in the UK where the overseas supplier registers for VAT here
  • distance sales to Northern Ireland which are above the distance selling threshold or, if below the threshold the overseas supplier opts to register for VAT in the UK
  • reverse charge transactions read paragraph 4.6
  • supplies which are outside the scope of UK VAT as described in Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A)**
  • deposits that an invoice has been issued for

I have faced this issue previously where I used the ‘out of scope’ option in QuickFile and the accountant picked up that my VAT returns did not total with my turnover. HMRC and QuickFile my have different definitions but I think the important thing is that the values need to be included in the VAT return. I just set the sales to 0% VAT but leave the checkbox for ‘out of scope’ unchecked which seems like the correct thing to do. Interested to hear if you find out otherwise.

Hello @JemimaPuddleduck

Supply of Services outside of UK:

1. VAT Exempt - If Business to business, Box 6 only completed (supply deemed to be made where Customer is) supplies are therefore outside the scope of UK VAT

Sales are digital products - business to customer

Hello @JemimaPuddleduck

As place of supply rules with VAT can get complicated, you can seek guidance from a registered accountant.

From what you say, you are wanting to report the net sales figure in box 6.

Marking the invoices as exempt will achieve this on QuickFile.

@QFSteve

Thank you for your help

If the invoice is logged in QuickFile as 0% VAT then either zero rated or exempt should report the net in box 6 (and there is no VAT). But if you’re wanting to list non-UK VAT in the VAT column of your invoices - the local VAT for each customer country that you’re reporting through OSS - then I’m not sure how that would work. @QFSteve can an invoice be marked “exempt” but also have non-zero VAT on it? And if so, does that still just put the net in box 6 and nothing in box 1 or does it try to put the (non-UK) VAT in box 1 as well?

@JemimaPuddleduck How do your EU sales work? Are you invoicing your overseas customers yourself from QuickFile or are you using some other platform or marketplace to generate the paperwork that gets sent to the end consumer?

@ian_roberts Non UK sales are processed via Shopify.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.