Overriding VAT amount

Continuing the discussion from Allow VAT amount to be overridden on sales invoices:

Hi,

I have been using quickfile for 2 years now and Just finished our first year as a VAT registered business.

I have read through these but I can t find the option anywhere to “Allow VAT override on Sales Invoice”. This implementation was dated 2014 so I am wondering if it is still an option.

The trouble I am having is getting my Quickfile Sales Invoice to match with our till Z report.

We are a Cafe and process many small transactions in a day.
I have created 6 recurring Sales Invoice (assigned to a client called Daily Takings) One for each day of the week we are open and they repeat weekly.
I then input the Z readings from our till onto the sales invoice.
Z readings totals only give Gross total Including VAT and i have broken this down under 4 nominal Accounts
(Refunds), Food, Drink & Non Vatable Sales.
The Z report also gives a separate total Tax Breakdown.

The Problem I am having is that the till charges Vat on each individual Item roughly 350 - 500 individual transactions per day. So no matter how i input this into my Quickfile Sales invoice (Gross totals or NET totals) I cannot get the VAT to match. It is always between £1-£2 out

Inputing 350 individual items is not really an option either.

Customers are issued a Till receipt with the VAT when they make a purchase so i assume that I need to be matching my Quickfile sales invoices to my Till.

The only solution I can see is to be able to input the Gross Amount & then manually adjust the VAT. Quickfile could then subtract the two to record the NET amount and presto my Accounts would match my Till

I have spent hours looking for a solution on the forum but I have not found a solution yet. I know there are many more experienced people using the forum that could offer a solution.

Regards,
Gary

Hi @gary_c_coughlan

Bulk recording the sales is the best way to do this. As you mentioned, recording 350-500 individual lines isn’t really an option and would take a considerable amount of time to do.

Essentially, if you have the 4 nominals and are given a breakdown of this, you can just enter them as that, so for each day you end up with 4 lines (maybe only 3 if you merge refunds with the item it was refunded against).

In terms of overriding the VAT, the tick box to enable this was removed but the functionality remains. Instead, now you can just click in the VAT box and adjust the figure.

You may find that a few other users wi come back recording the shop daily sales (I’m aware of a few users who do this), who may be in a better position than me to help. However, I hope my post helps you.

Let me know if I can help any further :slight_smile:

[Edit]
Just wanted to clarify that by bulk, I mean bulk it together as one invoice rather than creating invoices in bulk

I’m in the same situation as you, the epos records vat individually on each sales line. I get a report at the end of the day giving a breakdown by VAT rate (0%, 5%, 20%) of the net, vat, and gross totals but those figures are never the exact percentage due to rounding.

To record it in QuickFile I just create a single line invoice set to 20%, enter the net total from the epos report in the net column, then adjust down the VAT column to match the VAT total from the report. I then attach a copy of the report to the invoice in QuickFile as evidence of what I’ve done, and if we ever do get inspected the full details of every transaction are there in the EPOS backend - it doesn’t really matter that your master records are spread across different systems as long as you can point the VAT man at the correct records when he asks.

I then allocate payments to the invoice based on the Z readings, and hopefully the Z totals agree with the gross total from the VAT report.

2 Likes

Great Help, Thank you.

Ian, you mentioned attaching a copy of the report to the Quickfile invoice. How do you do that? I have only done it for purchase invoices not sales invoices

Regards

1 Like

On your sales invoice preview screen you can scroll down to the bottom and you should see some file upload options:

You can attach your Z readings here.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.