Payroll journal 7003 needs to split for expenses

Hello will try to explain as best as possible. I use brightpay for all my staff salaries. Expenses go into brightpay which in turn end up on the bank feed as salary.

Most expenses have tax and ni deducted and are included in net and gross, but for the odd expense tax and ni is not taken. Once I have done the journal to 7003 and the four other lines which I have done I need to somehow show that part of this is not salary but an expense. On the bank feed the employee got paid the full amount but for accounts for example £3.50 may have been a refund paid and shown on brightpay added to salary with no tax or ni. How would I then show this in the journals to move this amount out of net and gross? I can add another journal line I guess with the nominal code it relates to and debit here. And then credit to 7003 code with a note to show non tax ni expense. Is this correct? Also if this expense was vat reclaimable what would I then do with this 7003 entry? Could I do a journal on the pay journal and debit the expense amount back to the bank account? Would this then allow me to tag to a supplier as would then set up a supplier as expenses to generate vat invoices and an area to upload the receipts collected? Would this work? If the expense is not vat reclaimable the first option I have put across maybe the best and then if it is possible bank feed for vat. I have 40 staff approx on a single bank feed transaction so splitting the transaction from bank feed would not be an option. I need a way to tag to staff salaries and use the journals to solve this. If my ideas would work please confirm or if there is a better way etc? Any help would be great.

Might be able to do it this way. Create a new bank account. Tag payments as salary as usual. Then edit the journal and move the expenses amount back to the new created bank account. Then tag the receipt from there.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.