PDF Filenames Convention

Not sure if this has been answered before, I couldnt find anything when searching the KB, perhaps it could be a new feature if not already available.

When the system generates PDF files (invoice, purchase orders, etc) can it please be possible to setup a custom naming convention. For example, I save my invocies as:
"invoice number - client name - project/invoice name - date.pdf"
purchase orders as:
“po number - suplier name - date.pdf”

as so on.

Hi @gcotton

There isn’t a way to customise this at the moment. Generally, they’re done using your account number.

I’m not sure of the technicalities behind this, but I’ll convert this to a feature request for the time being.

I’m afraid we need to keep our own naming convention for static files like this. Our system is designed around these naming conventions in order for us to easily index, migrate and purge files.

Ok, I understand that.

Based on your reply, I take it that the PDF is generated and stored on your system before being presented to the end users browser. Can you not therefore implment a script that prior to being presented to the end users browser, the headers of the response are changed to adjust the filename? The header change is only a single line of code (appreciate pulling the details from the DB are more, perhaps on generating the invoice the required details are stored in the session, then pulled from the session when sending the header)

It may be possible to modify the headers, so on download the name can be overridden. However we host the files directly from Azure which is a 3rd party blob storage service, I’m doubtful that we will be able to programatically override the headers on Azure.

I notice that you’re using Persits aspPDF; having a brief (very brief) scan of the manual does seem to allow you to save the file under one name and present is as another on generation; perhaps look at this instead of a header change (rather than reinvent the wheel).

I don’t think Persits PDF will help here. The file is generated by Persits but then moved to Azure blob storage. Any client can only request the file as per it’s actual full path. The only way to change this is by overriding the headers and adding something like this.

filename: Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=mycompany_invoice_111.pdf

I will leave this open and if it becomes a more popular request we can look into this a bit more.

Would it be any easier to add a reference that could be edited by the user instead?

If the files were named differently on our blob storage (i.e. by allowing users to set their own naming conventions) we’d need to rewrite some of our routines that clean up or locate specific files on our blob storage provider. It’s possible but quite a lot of work if I’m honest!

Joining this party late but I would like to be able to change the PDF name somehow please.

Thanks

I would like to add my vote to this too.

The present format of a file name when a client either downloads a copy of their invoice or estimate
is;
“6****10451_INV_14148601_81795016-cf8”

This is using the QF account number as the starting reference, this does not assist clients finding items that they have downloaded or printed.

Can we have the QF account name “aber****ervice” as the starting part of the file download/print? This would really help with better communication between clients and the supplier (vendor).

Hi @alan_mcbrien

I’ve merged your post in to the existing feature request.

You can add your vote at the top of the page if you wish.

As the server address was changed to quickfile.co.uk earlier this year is this feature now a possibilty?

Any attachments are filed as an example https://files.quickfile.co.uk/document/61xxxxx113/

Would this be more secure if the account number “61xxxxx113” was not used and the account name was utilised “r77777ble”, but also then customers generated files that they may download or print would have an account name rather than a series of numbers, and then they could easily find such items.