Print supplier payment - remittance advice

Great Glenn second option works perfectly, I had missed the update as paid button and tried using the “credit card” looking button which only wanted to pay one line.
Much appreciated.

Apologies Glenn, just one thing on this - I cannot see them “send an email notification to supplier” button when I bulk pay this way. I can see it on individual payments but not for bulk?

Ah…I’m afraid that’s the catch when using this method, no email notification. We can certainly look at adding this as an improvement on what we already have…I’ll leave this thread open so we can track this.

2 Likes

Hi Glenn, this feature is imperative…
QF is the third online system I’ve used, and something I overlooked when I was reviewing the possibility of using QF, simply because this is something that is at the core of every retail or manufacturing business… Paying Suppliers.

I think you’re nearly there however, so all we need is the ability to check the invoices we want to pay, update as paid, and then have the option to email a PDF remittance to the supplier. If we don’t tell the supplier exactly what we are paying they will allocate the money however they want, and often it’s wrong.

So… we need to also be able to look up the previous payments and email a copy remittance to the supplier when they query what we are paying because they’ve incorrectly allocated old payments.

I’m just making my first pay run with my suppliers using QF right now, so I’m going to check all the invoices and then export to CSV so that I can send the supplier something simple to understand.

This is a workaround of course, but for anyone else who’s having the same issue it beats manually going through the records.

We already have a facility to email a supplier when a payment is lodged, this email can also be customised. I’m not clear why it needs to actually physically send a PDF document to back this up?

Well, I guess I can only speak for myself and anyone else involved in bespoke retail products, but as a Small Business owner I don’t have much time, so I work hard to make sure that where ever I can, I have a slick way of doing things.
When I pay my suppliers, I want to simply click the invoices that I’m paying, hit a button, and have the supplier notified by email with a list of invoices and CREDIT notes that I’m paying.
I don’t want to have to write stuff down, or leave a screen for another screen to make this notification. All the info is there within the DB, I just need to report it.
Granted, i suppose it doesn’t have to be a PDF, but it is the most widely used document format, and one with which I’ve never had a problem. HTML docs don’t always display properly, and Word/excel docs are not always able to be read.

You say there’s a facility there already for emailing a supplier, but does it show a list of invoices and credits, and is it available from the purchase management screen, or can one only use it from the bank tagging screen?

If you want to mail me privately, I can show you around my previous accounts package to explain what I mean.

Don’t get me wrong Glenn, I like QF alot, so I’m not moaning, after all… it costs me nothing, which i’m grateful for. I just hope I can pay you guys back by way of feedback.

1 Like

I really believe the emphasis should be on getting the information to the supplier in the clearest and most readily accessible way. I agree PDF has become the de facto method of document exchange on the web, but I believe things are changing here as web applications, HTML and even email becomes much richer.

PDFs are static documents that are not easy to format and chew up bandwidth lugging them around the web. Whenever we create a PDF on Quick File the obvious next questions will be…How do I add my logo?, how do I change the font?, I want to move this box over here etc etc. So creating the PDF is the easy part, developing a myriad of control to satisfy the demand for customisation is much much harder. What this does is add a lot of dead weight to the application and make it harder to manage and adapt in the future, we go to great lengths to avoid this.

I do however agree that right now there’s no good way of notifying the supplier that this payment is being allocated to this invoice. I definitely think we can improve the template so it delivers a list of invoices to which the payment is being assigned… This has been noted.

I would never dare to say the applications is anywhere near perfect, and I always appreciate feedback… I just have some philosophical views on how things should be done, it may seem like a rant but I’m thinking about every feature in terms of development hours vs usefulness to the broadest number of users :smile:

I do agree with you to some extend. Indeed, I’d be satisfied with an HTML email at this stage so long as it lists the invoices.

So can we put it on the to do list :wink:

At the moment the remittance advice email can be used for assigning a single payment to a single invoice. It is our intention to also allow remittance advice emails to be sent when bulk assigning payments to multiple invoices although this does require an entirely different template so there is some work to be done here. We will update this thread when we have had time to look at this in more detail.

Hi Glenn,

I agree that to be able to send the email notification (remittance) from the banking page when tagging as paying down multiple invoices to a supplier would be a very useful great feature, even on the flip side too to let customers know how you have allocated their payments, though i guess this is less commonly done.

Many thanks for all your hard work!

2 Likes

Hi Glenn,

I found this from a search for precisely this feature. As a charity, most of our payments are made by cheque, so a printed remittance advice covering the several invoices the payment covers is really important for us. At the moment, I’m having to do it by hand, which is a real pain.

Whilst the email advice is useful, for us, we’d need somethign printed. Also, a single payment takes only a few seconds to write on the cheque or on a note, but with multiple payments a printed one saves so much time.

Thanks
Aled.

Hi Glenn

Can a remittance be cobbled togther from the ‘allocated to’ in payment history?

When you view the payment it lists the individual amounts this would need to pull in information from the supplier invoice ie their reference and date and you have a remitance.

We do plan to eventually allow those payment slips to be composed into a PDF. This in itself is not complicated for us to implement however adding all the trimming that users will request in terms of customisation is a much bigger challenge.

We will most likely do this in two stages, however we are very busy with other areas right now but we will return to this.

1 Like

Pleased to say this has now been implemented, you can view more details here:

Notice: Printing Payment Slips

I also cover some planned additions to this feature in the link above.

1 Like

We’ve made a small update that will now allow you to rename these Payment Slips. The idea is that if you are issuing them as Remittance Advice notices you can now head them up as such.

This option is available in Account Settings >> Advanced Features.

The name you update here will be applied as follows:

1 Like

Can I just add another vote for being able to send an email to a supplier when we pay off several invoices in one payment.
E.g. We owe supplier A for:

• Invoice 1: £50
  • Invoice 2: £25

We make a bank transfer of £75 and log this through the invoice management system as ‘Allocate one lump payment then use this to pay down selected invoices’. Sending an email at this stage would be very useful. Currently I create the two separate payments so that I can send the emails, then delete them and allocate the lump sum so that it matches with the bank statement.
A different but related feature is to send payment confirmation emails from the invoice management screen when someone pays us, rather than going into each invoice to log the payment so that we can send the email.

3 Likes

Hi All
I know this is an old thread but I dont see any of these tick boxes and it is a feature I want for both clients and suppliers …I have been through all the settings and read this thread several times but i cant find anything that shows me how to do the set up…sorry I may just be being really thick or something…please help

@Rapid-esl - Providing you have an email address saved for the supplier you should see an option to send an email notification to them when saving a payment, either by using the Log Payment option, or by bank tagging

It would be really useful if this option was available whether or not you have an email address already saved for the supplier. If no email address saved an option to add the email address on the fly would be useful. I am finding I have to go back to suppler page and enter the email then save and go back to payments pages. This option is available on other software programs I have experience off.

Hi @nigel0161,

You can get something similar by going to Purchases > View All Payments > View

You would then have to PDF it and then email manually, rather than emailing from within QF.

With regards to adding an email address on the fly you may wish to start a #feature request for this