Problems submitting VAT return

I have recently had to renew the connection to HMRC for filing VAT by MTD. However I now get the message that I am not able to file a return for that VAT reference and I should check the VAT number etc. I note there was a similar query dated December 2019 and the solution was to remove the link and re-do it, I have tried this without success.

If you did indeed completely remove the old link before reconnecting and it still doesn’t work then the next most likely problem is if you’ve connected the wrong HMRC account - e.g. if you have one you use for VAT and corp tax and a different one you use for self assessment.

Thanks for the reply, just so I can completely eliminate this possibility, to remove the link I went into the VAT settings, unticked the two boxes to do with submitting electronically and removed the account details, clicked save, logged out and back in again. Would this have done it?

Possibly not - the place you need to look is reports -> HMRC, where you should see a table giving your connected tax accounts (under normal circumstances it should only have one row). You need to click the disconnect button there, then once the table is empty, then click the + Connect button to start the connection process again. You will be prompted to log in to the Government Gateway (unless you’re already signed in in another browser window/tab), follow through the prompts to establish the connection.

Once you’ve got the connection established, then go back to VAT settings to re-enable online filing and MTD features.

Hi @JamesC,

Have you managed to sort this now or do you still require some assistance?

Thanks for the offer Beth but I have sorted it now.

Huge thanks to Ian, your solution worked, I’m really grateful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.