Purchase Credit

Hi, I’m trying to use a credit note but failing.
Client RW Refrigeration. Orig inv 95444249. This invoice has been fully paid.
Later we received full credit CN 95459014. We took this credit off the next payment to the supplier.
How do I use the credit when processing the payment.?
If I look at the supplier’s invoices and tick the boxes of the ones paid incl the credit note, when I click on Update as Paid it won’t let me use the credit note. If I don’t use the credit not then the total to Update as Paid is wrong.
Please help.

Hi @ACE,

When you create the credit note there should be an option to hold the balance on the supplier account.

You can then reduce the next invoices using that credit note.

Hope that helps?

1 Like

If you created the credit by doing “more options -> credit note” against the original invoice and held the funds on account, then you will have a “prepayment” showing on the supplier account. Now when you have another purchase from them you can “log payment” on that and you’ll see “apply from credit” which will use any available prepayments to (part or fully) pay that purchase. Once the prepayments are all used up then the outstanding balance should match what you think you owe them.

You have to do the “apply from credit” thing one invoice at a time - it’s not available as an option when you’re trying to log a single lump payment against several separate purchases.

1 Like

Thanks @ian_roberts! perfect instructions :slight_smile:

Thanks, that is really helpful!

We’ve got a chunk of ‘prepayment’ on the account but only need to use about £8 of it to balance a payment, is there a way to do this?

eg We have 3 invoices totalling £99 (£33 each) and a credit for £5 we are using on this payment. We pay £94. We then go to one of our 3 invoices and log a payment against it with a view to using £5 of £20 prepayment we have sitting on the account. The system wants to us to use the full £20. Is there a way to use only a portion?

Apply the £94 payment first, then after that you can use “apply from credit” on whichever of the three purchases still has £5 outstanding. Apply from credit will always use as much of the prepayment as it can but only up to the total outstanding on the purchase.

1 Like

Thank you!! Pretty obvious really but my brain has melted apparently, thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.