QF Bank columns in reverse positions (change columns)

I agree, the color coding looks also inconsistent.

Itā€™s called double-entry bookkeeping and has been in use for a couple of thousand years (with ā€˜modern double-entryā€™ coming in around the 16th century. The credit column is on the right, and the debit column is on the left (as taught today by every accounting organisation, school, college, academy, and university in every country on every continent).

How do I know all this useless trivia? Because Iā€™ve both taught it to lay people and wrote a book on it in the 1990ā€™s.

Why did I do that? Because itā€™s confusing as hell to most people. BUT, once you know that Credit = From and Debit = To, life becomes a LOT simpler (Iā€™m even credited for that on Wikipedia).

So why wouldnā€™t I want to change the columns round (because that was what I advocated in my book), for the simple reason that this application is used by a ton of professional accountants and bookkeepers and it would screw them up completely.

Why does that matter? Because I love QuickFile and do not ever want to see it die. So huge apologies KBO, completely understand your frustration, but cannot vote for something that might screw up many of our futures.

Now, if the QuickFile people decided to let us move columns around to our heartā€™s content, your dreams would come true, and everyone would be happy. Iā€™d vote for that.

Hi @technology1,

Not quite sure I understood if you support me or not.
I am an accountant so I know what double bookkeeping is hence the bank account view is incorrect, and the accounting view has been inconsistently applied across the platform.

As I wrote above, this may be a preference to sue the software to its purpose, so my view is not about how to do the bookkeeping, but how I see some features as a user.
whether developments are worth to do for QuickFile, is a different question in my opinion.

The vote has been opened to see how many users think it would be useful or better.

The subject now is on vote so letā€™s see how many react throughout the time.

1 Like