QF Bank columns in reverse positions (change columns)

Hello,

I noticed that the Money Out column is in Debit position, whereas the Money In is in Credit position in the bank accounts, which is pretty confusing when reconciling (visually and exporting data).

Could you please explain why, and whether this could be improved?

I saw other comments on this, and I support a request for change in this sense.

thanks,
Kristina

Hi KBO,
It is actually not confusing. The statement from the bank is the banks view on your account. Whereas quickfile shows your view on your accounts. Hope that makes sense

Various banks and their statements will show debits and credits in different columns. You can’t please everyone.

The debits and credits entries in quickfile bank transactions are colour coded which makes it pretty easy to figure out.

Hi @rhc,

I am sorry but it is confusing. In quickfile I am looking at it from an accounting point of view and not from a bank statement view.

thanks,

Hi @Paul,

Thanks. I still think it is confusing as QF is an accounting software and I prefer to have an accounting view as opposed to a bank statement view.

might be a preference issue, yet I have seen similar comments to mine so I am not alone with this, I am hopinh.
thanks,

I have to disagree I’m afraid. And as I say, it’s colour coded so I don’t see an issue.

You have the right to disagree. :slight_smile:

Dear @Support team,

Could you please kindly comment if there are similar requests to mine on this?
thank you.

Kristina

Hi @KBO

You can find any #feature requests by doing a search in the top right corner (click the magnifying glass). If you wish, you can filter it by selected categories too (e.g. just feature requests, or just support requests, etc.)

Hope that helps!

… and there are much more people which prefer the current settings, like me. As Paul said, you can not make everybody happy. May quickfile could have a doogle-switch somewhere for how to import the bank statements but I think it is even more confusing for accountants to figure out which of their clients use this version and who uses the other version. I think there should be a standard, which we have at the moment. And some people are happy about it and some people are not, unfortunately.

I am sorry @rhc, I have my view on this, and I addressed it properly.
I appreciate you have a different view which is not more or less than mine.
I think it’s wortht to give it for a vote.
thanks, Kristina

Hi @QFMathew,

Thanks, I was actually looking for this option to send a “feature request”.
I am still not finding it by searching…

@QFMathew,

I am not sure where I can request “feature changes”. I found in the topics the tag “features” so when creating a new topic I could tag it under “features” topics, but not sure what else I can do?

Could you please advise, thanks.

You can add your vote at the top of this post, just scroll up

Hi @KBO

If you start a new topic under the tag “features” it starts a feature request where other members can vote on whether they would also like to see the feature.

Based on the feasibility of the topic and the number of votes received, the development team can then look into implementing these features.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Hi QFSian,

Yes, it does help indeed! When I started working with QF, this feature didn’t exist yet so I welcome this development.

thanks.
Kristina

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I just noticed it.

1 Like

Both views are available. When you look at the bank account view it shows money in as green and money out as red in line with how bank statements would look. If you look at the nominal view of the code corresponding to the bank account (e.g. by clicking through from the balance sheet report) then it shows money in as debit and money out as credit as per normal accounting practice.

As somebody who learned basic book-keeping in the days of hand written ledgers I find the fact that the entries are the wrong way round confusing. The layout probably explains why the few times that I have attempted to make journal entries I have done them the wrong way round.

However as the product is intended for users with no accounting experience mirroring the bank statement is probably the better option.

1 Like

I also find it confusing to look at the bank statement view - and I don’t find the colour-coding helpful either, especially on the TB or chart of accounts pages. In fact, the closing TB is all red which makes the colour coding pointless anyway.

1 Like