Quick Search - partial search not working

Whenever we would search for a client account, we could search using the account number of the client and the search function would show the clients account.

This no longer occurs and now only shows invoices related which is not as efficient when searching.

Please advise on a solution.

Hello @FortysCapital

Which search function are you using ?

Here is an example on a test account.

search

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the response.

We use the Quick Search function in the top left.

Usually we search the account ref. and then the associated client name comes up but this has stopped working and we are unsure as to why.

Hello @FortysCapital

We’re moving users to our “full text search” algorithm, this allows us to perform faster, deeper searches down to invoice item level. The flip side to this is it works on the basis of returning results from whole word inputs, therefore short partial string searches will no longer yield results.

I can see this works in some cases on your account, this is where the account reference is almost the same as the client name (example - the first item in your client list)

In other cases it will not work, this is where the account reference is not the same as the client name (example - the second item in your client list)

Thanks for clearing that up.

I suppose there is now way to change this as we frequently used to use quick search to quickly locate client accounts based on account reference

This is dissapointing, we use the quick search all the time using abreviations / partial references, having to type in the full text is a step backwards for us.

The problem we have is the size of the datasets we are dealing with now are too big to perform partial string searches, without some severe performance penalties. We therefore gradually moved QuickFile over to a full text search algorithm, which maintains a separate index and is designed to be much more performant. The trade off here is that it is designed to work on the principle of “word match” rather than partial string match, much like how say Google works.

We never want to take away functionality however we really had to seek an alternative here so we don’t run into wider performance problems. We will look at allowing partial searches, perhaps by suffixing with an asterisk.

I understand the trade off, however its still less productive for me at least, if suffixing with an asterisk doesn’t impair performance then this would be a good compromise.

I am looking for some help. For the last few days the Quick Search function has not been working properly on many different QuickFile I accounts that I work on.
I used to be able to put in partial words or invoice numbers and a variety of results would be given but at the moment the search function only works if you put in the exact wording of a supplier name or the full QF invoice number etc.

Is anyone else experience this and know a solution as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

Hi @RAD1975

I’ve merged your post with the existing thread on this. Please see the responses above from my colleague

Thanks for your response. This is disappointing for us as we use the Quick Search function many many times a day every day. If there was a solution of prefix with an asterisk, this would certainly work for us.

Many Thanks

Hello @RAD1975

Not at present, it is something our development team is looking into.

You can search the Sales > View Clients screen specifically for partial words though.

search clients

This topic was automatically closed after 26 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.