Quickbooks online into quickfile

We recently converted extensive data from Quickbooks desktop to Quickbooks online. Now we have a notice from Quickbooks that they are out to scalp their new users who migrated to Online to meet the demands of MTD. Time to look more seriously at Quickfile!
My problem: we have accounting files, the lot, which go back 25 years. Because of the nature of our business (very long-lived products) we need continued access to these data. Quickbooks did this for us when we migrated to their Online offering. Your 3 standard methods of data migration seem not to meet our needs. Are you, or is anyone, able to say how we can port our entire data file from QBO to Quickfile, please?
Thanks in advance -
Carl

Hi @carldouglasracing

You wouldn’t need to import the data into QuickFile, just an opening balance would do (for example, from a trial balance).

You’re welcome to import the files, although I’d be keen to understand what parts don’t meet your needs, and we can help you work with this.

It’s also worth noting that the earliest supported date in QuickFile is 02/01/2001. Anything earlier than this wouldn’t be supported.

Thank you for very rapid response!

If we can preserve and access data (eg invoices) back to 2/1/2001 that has to be acceptable. But from there on we really do need to be able to excavate data from transactions - “Oh, yes, we did this work on your boat then, and supplied these accessories on that date”, etc. Hitherto we’ve had a complete client and product history back to early 1996 and never thought we’d lose it - until MTD upset the small business applecart. Current owners greatly appreciate this (they may be 2nd or later owners) and it’s invaluable to us. If we were selling widgets that wouldn’t be a problem, but since our products will porobably outlive some of their owners their history is important to us and our clients.

So, how can we migrate all of our QBO data from 2/1/2001 into Quickfile, please? Or is there a service that will do this for us for a modest fee?

Many thanks in advance -
Carl

If you type qbo to quickfile in Google you might find your answer.

Thank you, Paul. But that brings me back to other parts of this blog which, as an engineer and not an accountant, cause me only pain and confusion. In engineering design I work with huge CAD files, in different formats, created in or for different software. All CAD software can import, save and export flawlessly across a range of different formats (file conversion built in), so that each system can either read the other’s native format or, if not, there are formats which both can create and read. So I’m astonished that in accountancy, with far simpler files than in CAD, none of the popular systems can read, import or re-format complete data files from any other system. How is such clunky inflexibility be even remotely acceptable? It’s my data and I should be able to plug it into the system I like best.

At the least I’d have expected either Quickfile, or an enterprising QF user, to offer a file import system or service to import and convert full current and historic data from each of their best-known competitors (start with Xero, QBO, Sage). That’s a service for which anyone in my position (engineering competent, accountancy dummy) would willingly pay a fair fee to get the job done quickly and painlessly. I can’t afford to lose my historic data on the way, and life’s too short to spend a week under the hood, fumblingly extracting and moving data segment by segment, only then to find I’ve screwed up.

In summary, is there a defined procedure or purchasable service able to port everything that I have today in QBO (or back to 2001 anyway)to give me a similarly readable and usable Quickfile system? It doesn’t seem a lot to ask of the Quickfile community whose software skills and accountancy savvy so greatly exceed my own.

Thanks, in eager anticipation -
Carl

Hi @carldouglasracing

To get the data into QuickFile, you would need to import it as a CSV file, which should be obtainable from QuickBooks. The main things here would be:

• Clients
  • Invoices
  • Maybe even bank transactions

You can find templates for these, here: https://community.quickfile.co.uk/c/knowledgebase/getting-started

This thread may also be of interest: Importing from quickbooks (all transactions)

1 Like

Thank you, Mathew.

I greatly appreciate your help and advice, and I will indeed explore the possibilities.

Small businesses suffer ever-increasing regulatory burdens - MTD being the latest. Quickbooks does data conversion within their own environment, so we took the “easy route” from QB desktop to QBO. But many of us, I’m sure, would prefer to use Quickfile and some have years of essential client/product data in old accounts software which we’d need to drag across. QF encourages users to develop and share Apps for useful additional functions, so I’m astonished there’s no file conversion/upload App for automatic QBO-to-QF conversion. Lack of time and computer confidence means I fear the cost and risk of a conversion process which to you seems easy but to us is daunting. So for “chickens” like me to pay £100 for an App that painlessly does this would be a no-brainer - and creating it should be a rewarding exercise for anyone with the right skills. I can’t believe that no one out there couldn’t do this, and I think there’d be a flood of new QF users if such an App existed. Any takers?

Cheers -
Carl

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.