QuickFile icons on buttons not presented correctly

For a few weeks now, QuickFile icons on various buttons have not been presented correctly in my browser (Firefox ESR 24.5.0 on Linux). Not a big problem for me.

Screenshot:

We use the Font-Awesome library to render the small button icons. If you go to the following page, do all the icons appear in the same way?

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

EDIT:

I think this issue is described in more detail here. It doesn’t appear to affect all versions of Firefox, It works fine on Firefox 29.0.1 :

@Glenn, the page you cite is presented just fine in my browser so it seems that the specific version of Font Awesome used by QuickFile may be an issue.

Screenshot:

We are actually using that exact version, hosted directly from their CDN. I think we’ll need to take a closer look at how we’re hosting the library, the StackOverflow post makes some suggestions we could try.

EDIT:

What I think will solve this for you is if we host the icons library ourselves rather than rely on the CDN hosted version. We’ve got quite a few other areas on the go at the moment so this should be updated next week some time.

@Glenn, thank you for looking at this. No urgency from my perspective. Perhaps some versions of Firefox are more tolerant of cross-server access to fonts.

Just FYI, it seems that the CompanyWizard.co.uk home page has a similar issue.

It’s a CORS problem, CompanyWizard.co.uk also uses the hosted CDN for icons, so for those browsers that are not tolerant of accessing resources cross-domain it will cause an issue.

I think this is specifically a Linux + FF problem. I know FF on Linux behaves slightly differently than it’s Windows + Mac variants.

We’ve made the changes on our development system to host all font awesome resources locally so when that goes live I will update you and we can see if that works.

@Glenn, after further searching I have discovered that the behaviour I have reported is due to the “NoScript” Firefox add-on that I use routinely. NoScript default behaviour is to silently block certain uses of “@font-face” (presumably including CORS). If I uncheck the “Forbid @font-face” option on the “Embeddings” tab of the “NoScript Options” dialog then the browser presents the QuickFile icons correctly.

Apologies for the (somewhat) false alarm.

1 Like

That’s interesting to know, thanks for updating me!

I think this may be a problem that other users will encounter in future so the safest thing to do is host the library. Appreciate the feedback!

@john we’ve now update Quick File to source the Font Awesome library locally. If you want to re-enable NoScript I think the icons will display fine under the new configuration.

@Glenn, yes, I have reverted to the default NoScript configuration and can still see the Font Awesome icons in the QuickFile user interface. Thank you.

1 Like

Great, thanks for letting me know!

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.