Re submit VAT return

I created a VAT return to the end of July and submitted it but it did not include a June invoice which has not been sent. I rolled back the return. I took the advice of on of hte post and disable online submission. I recreated the return and it is now correct.

I don’t know how to re submit. The status of the return on the system is Saved with the note that the return has not been submitted.

How do I resubmit?

Thanks in advance for your help

You can’t.

Unless the error is of sufficient magnitude that you’ve underpaid VAT by more than £10,000 (i.e. the missing invoice was over £50,000 ex VAT) then you fix it up simply by including the missed invoice in the next available VAT return. QuickFile would do this automatically if you had not rolled back the original return.

Now you have done the rollback the simplest solution I can see would be:

• roll the “corrected” return back again
  • delete the “June invoice which has not been sent”
  • re-save the return so it exactly matches what you originally submitted
  • undelete the extra June invoice and re-attach any payments that would have been detached when you deleted the invoice

Now when you submit your next VAT return for Aug-Oct QuickFile will automatically add the June invoice to the Aug-Oct numbers. This is how it is designed to work, a QuickFile VAT return includes all invoices (or payments if you’re on cash accounting) that are dated on or before the last day of the quarter you’re submitting and have not already been included in an earlier return.

If you have underpaid VAT by £10,000+ then you need to report the error directly to HMRC on a separate form and they’ll tell you what to do next.

1 Like

Hi Ian,

Thank you, got your reply.

The issue is that this is the last VAT return as the company is being wound up.

From your e mail we can’t resubmit and the solution is to include the transactions on the next return. I will submit a return for the next quarter and accrue for the invoice in the accounts to 31 July.

Can I change VAT period end date to 31 August so I can tidy everything up and submit at the end of August?

Thank you

Gerry Turley

Hello Gerry

The vat periods shown in the Reports > Vat Returns > Create screen are taken from your HMRC account.

We have no control over these dates.

It may be worth a call to HMRC to discuss your situation and possibly try and get the dates changed by them.

The only people who can change your period dates are HMRC - once you tell them you’re winding up the company and de-registering for VAT they will likely give you a final period to submit that runs up to the de-registration date, and the June invoice would be reported there. You shouldn’t need to accrue for anything - the June invoice is still dated in June for the purposes of your accounts.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.