Recommend accountant for small ltd company in uk?

Hi,

If any one is here that can recommend an accountant for quickfile. I run a small software company with me as only employee.

Thanks.

Hello @tom_44

We have a panel for accountants to choose from familiar with QuickFile

Thanks. I was also looking for others on here who may personally recommend some.

I have run my own small limited company for 11 years. I started with an accountant but fired him after one year as he was useless and an unecessary expense. I suggest you do your own accounts; it really is not difficult and takes me about 2 hours.
Robert

It’s only straightforward if you know what you’re doing and in many cases, small business owners do not. I’m sorry you feel that your accountant was useless, but please don’t tar all accountants with the same brush. Like every trade or profession there are good and bad, knowledgeable and less so.

@tom_44 when choosing an accountant, please look for someone who is a member of one of the professional bodies, e.g. ICAEW, ACCA, AAT etc. You should be able to check their credentials on their websites. Unfortunately anyone can refer to themselves as an accountant, but this does not mean they hold any professional qualifications at all. Beware of accountants who seem cheap! Usually this is a good indication that they are not qualified. Make sure you ask how much experience they have preparing limited company accounts, as it is not the same as self-assessment and sole traders.

The panel on here would be a good place to start, as they are familiar with QF, but a good accountant should be able to use any software.

I have now paid £400 in basically fines to HMRC because I wasn’t told to pay bills.

The latest one was that, because he filed the CT600, I then was meant to know I had to pay HMRC corproation tax in december. I didn’t know this, and the interest has now got to £180 of which I wouldn’t of had to pay had he told me I need to pay it.

The previous one was for an old self assessment that again I wasn’t sure what I meant to do.

I pay all bills needed but only when told.

Are you a qualified accountant? If it only takes 2 hours (is that a year, per day?) then what is your rate? Thanks

I came here for recommendations from others on this forum of good working relationships, I am aware of the directory listing of quickfile accountants.

So, if there is anyone here, ideally in a similar position (very small ltd company) and they have a good quickfile accountant, please let me know.

A good accountant would make sure when he sent your tax return that you knew how much to pay and when. HMRC usually write to you, although if he’s your agent they may just right to him. And at the moment it’s best not to rely on HMRC.

At the end of the day, I am afraid it is your legal responsibility to know what you need to file and when, and what you need to pay and when. In terms of the law, you cannot abdicate that responsibility by employing an accountant.

I think you’ll find that @rlholding is not an accountant. Be wary of people telling you how long it takes to prepare accounts.

If you want to message me separately, I am an accountant and may be able to help although I am fairly busy at the minute.

The post was asking for people to recommend an accountant. I wasn’t asking about the law and responsibilities.

Fair enough. All i was doing was trying to clarify what you might expect from a new accountant when you find one so that you are not misled and end up in the same situation again.

Tom,

Well of course I am not an accountant otherwise I would not have used one once but I do have a maths degree. It takes me 20mins to do my self assessment return, so 2 hours is right for my companies accounts. Be wary of accountants telling you that you must use an accountant. They may spend time doing half legal tax dodges to justify their bill. Your company probably has simple taxes, so you really should do it yourself. Try not to complicate it with all these new software packages lick Quickbooks etc; they just complicate life and force you to use an accountant. If you file VAT, you can do this yourself quickly for free. Hmrc is good at tell you what you need to do and when and they will help you if you can ever get through on the phone.
In life, be wary of “experts” who “advise” you that you need their services.
Robert

Hi Tom,

So thinks have gone off track a little bit for you however there is not likely to be many replies from non-accountants as the majority of people paying attention to marketplace threads are likely to be accountants (like myself).

I would ask your friends and contacts for those with a good relationship with their accountant. You can get the tax advice and support you need from a good accountant who communicates with you and if there are any Quickfile queries I would talk to the community or Quickfile support (they are fast and know the software very well). Knowledge of the software is helpful but a good working relationship is far more important than this.

In terms of the need an accountant v unneeded expense view, I think this really varies on a person to person basis. Similar to any other part of the business, you might be able to manage this on your own or you may want support. I save time and energy by outsourcing my HR function as I don’t have the knowledge to manage it on my own and I don’t want to get it wrong but I would not outsource my IT function as this is fairly simple to manage on my own. I am aware this is not the question you asked so apologies.

Chris

Hi Tom
Yes. I use Adrian at Vibas from the Panel - have done for a few years. Some of their automated stuff is a a bit annoying and why I have to fully re-confirm my identity every year I don’t know (it may be statutory but seems OTT).
However their service otherwise has been pretty good. You should have an idea of what is going on as mistakes happen and you want to be able to spot them. Their price is reasonable and customer service is good.

I’m also 1 man company and I do my wife’s accounts as she has her own company too.

HTH

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.