Recurring invoice - issue 28 days before due date

I would like to create an annual recurring invoice to be emailed immediately to the client (and goCardless payment requested where a mandate is in place). However, I would like all subsequent invoices to be emailed 28 days before the due date.

Is this possible or do I need to create two separate invoices - a one-time invoice for the initial payment and a recurring invoice for all subsequent invoices?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hi @samppatel

When you set up the recurring template, it can only have one issue date. But there are a few ways you can achieve what you’re trying to do. For example:

• Issue a one off invoice and let the recurring template manage all future invoices (create the recurring template with the issue date 28 days before it’s due)

• Create the recurring template to issue the first invoice and update the next issue date once the first one has been issued

• If you have some experience with code, you could even automate the process with a webhook followed by an update API call to update the next issue date

I hope that helps

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Regarding “Create the recurring template to issue the first invoice and update the next issue date once the first one has been issued” - how is this done please?

It would be a manual process, but once the first invoice has been created automatically, you would just modify the template and change the start date to the date you want the next one issued. The template will just sit in your account until that day comes, and then issue a new invoice as any other recurring template would do.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.