Recurring Invoice payment term on client change

When creating recurring invoices: The Add/Edit Client Details page will override any payment terms value you put in the Recurring Invoice template.

I think people would expect the payment terms on the invoice to override the standard payment terms in their account.

Is this by design or is it a bug?

“The Add/Edit Client Details page”. Where are you referring to here?

When you click on a client and click to amend their details, on that page there’s a default payment terms section.

OK I understand now. Yes the client preferences should not override the payment term on the actual recurring template.

I know this is being looked into today and as soon as I have an answer I will report back.

Yeah. I didn’t think it should. I thought I’d let you guys know. I wasn’t sure if it was by design or a potential defect.

As a temporary fix, I’ve entered the number of days I need on that clients recurring invoice into the client’s account default. So the next one will be produced with the correct payment terms.

This is a good temporary fix for me as it will work either way, and there’s no rush to resolve the issue! :smile:

1 Like

I think I may have misunderstood your original query. The point I was making is that when an invoice is created from a recurring template it should use the payment term set on the actual template not the client default. This actually appears to be happening based on what we’ve looked at so far.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think what you’re asking relates to when the invoice template is being edited and the client is changed, the client’s term is overriding what was there originally? This is by design not a bug.

I’m not sure if there’s a strong case for changing this, certainly if other users raise this as a potential problem we may reconsider, but it’s always worked like that and I don’t recall any objection to that behaviour so far. What works for some may not work for others so I would be reluctant to change this at the moment.

I’ve converted this thread to a feature request and if it garners more interest we can look at this a little further.

Hi Glenn,

There was no change to the template or a change of client. I did the following:

1. Create a client (with full details including default payment terms of 0 days)
  2. Create a recurring invoice template with payment terms of 6 days

When the invoice is created it’s created with payment terms of 0 days. This indicates that it’s taking the payment terms from the client’s defaults and not that of the recurring invoice template.

OK I will pass this information on, although I believe when we tested this it adopted the term on the recurring template not the client. That’s strange, I will retest this now.

I’ll create a new client (me) and do another - I may have done something incorrectly.

My colleague and I both tested independently as per your payment terms but couldn’t identify any problem. If you can reproduce this problem please let me know the steps and I will take another look.

Yes, I’ll do just that.

This topic was automatically closed 0 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.