Refund from a supplier pre-payment

Hello,

I purchased some equipment from a supplier, but I needed to make a change to my order. They asked me to pay the full amount again, and they would refund me the original amount. The purchase invoice did not change (other than adding the extra bit of equipment)

This has now happened, so I tagged the original amount as a “supplier prepayment”, and the new amount as the purchase invoice. The refund has come in, but I’m not sure exactly how to refund the “prepayment” balance. What I’ve tried is to make a refund on the payment of the original amount, which generates the transaction in my (Starling) bank feed. But the original transaction keeps appearing from the feed.

So, is it possible to either (a) prevent the original transaction from being imported, or (b) tag the imported transaction in some other way, as being the refund on the payment. I think it would be ideal if when tagging the transaction, I could choose to refund it to a supplier account, rather than to a supplier invoice.

I also considered just making a dummy purchase (although I don’t really like the sound of this), or a dummy “holding account”, where I can tag both of the transactions to.

(I have seen a post about this already, but there didn’t seem to be a satisfactory resolution - however, my issue is that the Starling bank feed keeps bringing the transaction back in, after I’ve deleted it because I manually created the transaction when refunding the payment)

Does this make sense? I’m happy to provide further detail, or an example of the transaction movements.

Best wishes,
Tom

Hi @Tom_Spink

There’s no way to stop it from being pulled through but the feed only looks back a few days so, eventually it will stop. If you were to just leave it untagged and then set a reminder in a few days to delete it then this should work.

1 Like

Ah, brilliant - thanks for the info Beth! I’ll just hold my horses then :slight_smile:

It feels like the facility to tag an existing transaction should exist - I see that there is a “Refund from Supplier” option when tagging the income - but it requires it to be assigned to a purchase invoice. Do you think it would be possible to introduce an option to “Assign to a supplier account”, much like when tagging the purchase?

Hi @Tom_Spink

At the moment the way you’ve done it is the best way - you can’t do it from the bank unless you’re tagging against an invoice but i will raise this with the dev team to see if they can look into it.

There may be a feature request for this already - not sure off the top of my head but i’ll have a search and if I find one i’ll post the link here for you

1 Like

Hi @Tom_Spink

Can’t see a feature so I’ll turn this into one - and the dev team have said they’ll look into it

2 Likes

Amazing - thanks!

Best wishes,
Tom

If we could treat supplier accounts like bank accounts this would be an easy thing to do.

Another way of handling this without entering additional entries on the bank feed (never a good idea) would be to simply have 2 invoices for this purchase and fully refund one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I’d considered this, but because the supplier updated the same invoice with the change, there isn’t an original invoice with a unique number - so I would have had to either remove or invent an invoice number.

There wouldn’t be any “real” invoice to correlate the refund to, and I would prefer to avoid creating dummy invoices.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Best wishes,
Tom

I wouldn’t worry about that, you can only record what you do, if they are re-using invoice numbers that’s up to them! You don’t have to use their invoice number anywhere in Quickfile so it’s easy enough to duplicate the same invoice this end.