Refunding OVER PAID CIS

Hi community,
Can anyone advise how I tag overpaid CIS. A client has paid the Invoice including the CIS. I have refunded the CIS but when I try to add a refund it tries to match it to an invoice. How do I tag and accurately record these reimbursements?

Hello @Baphs

You would need to go to the original invoice > More Options > Credit Note.
Edit the details so it shows 20% of the original invoice (which is what is being refunded).
Save and refund the credit note.

If you already had a bank transaction delete it so you do not double up un your bank

How did you tag the original payment from the client? If you sent them an invoice net of CIS but they’ve paid you the full amount then you will have needed to use the “pay down multiple invoices or assign to account” option when tagging the payment from a customer. So now on the client’s account you have the invoice fully paid and the excess listed as a “prepayment”.

If you navigate to the payment record (the easiest way is via the green “tagged” button on the bank transaction, the popup says “this payment is…” with the word “payment” being a link) then you should see it showing part of the balance as unallocated. Somewhere at the top there should be an option to “refund balance” (it might be hiding under “more options”), if you click that then you can specify the date and the bank account that you’re refunding from. This will create a pre-tagged money out transaction for the refund, so you need to delete any untagged duplicate.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.