REST API - populate item lines using the item id

When using the legacy api, the item id automatically brought in the item description and value, will this still work? or will everything have to be sent with all fields filled. i.e.

Body

{
  "type": "estimate",
  "client_id": 1343151,
  "client_contact_name": "Jim Smith",
  "client_address": "123 Test Street<br/>Manchester<br/>MA1 5TH",
  "client_country": "GB",
  "currency": "GBP",
  "term_days": 14,
  "language": "en",
  "issue_date": "2026-09-03",
  "item_lines": [
    {
      "item_name": "BC1",
      "description": "300 Business Cards (250gsm)",
      "nominal_code": 4000,
      "vat_rate": 20,
      "vat_amount": 20,
      "unit_cost": 100,
      "qty": 1
    },
    {
      "item_name": "EMB1",
      "description": "Embossing Stamp",
      "nominal_code": 4000,
      "vat_rate": 20,
      "vat_amount": 10,
      "unit_cost": 50,
      "qty": 1
1 Like

Hi @Rob

I’ve just run a quick test and it didn’t work in the REST API as it did in the legacy API.

I have, however, asked our development team to review this. As soon as we have an update, we’ll let you know.

Thanks Matthew, I have managed to get my application working with the new REST Api by importing all inventory items into a speadsheet and using a lookup function, however this isnt ideal, whenever I add to the inventory in quickfile I will have to ensure the same is entered into the spreadsheet.
Hopefully there will be the option to use the item id to bring in the descriptions and values etc as the legacy api did.

Rob

Hi @Rob

Just a quick update to let you know that this should now be working. If you specify just an item_id, it should pre-populate the rest of the data from your inventory, matching the older API setup.

Any problems or feedback, please let us know.