Returning Funds To A Director's Loan Account

I have a clients account and a directors loan account.

Say a payment is returned to the clients account for a director’s loan return, do I also add that transaction in the director’s loan account coming back in, so effectively I am logging the transaction input on two bank accounts?

I’m sure this is easy but just working through our (first) director’s loans.

Regards

No, just tag transaction from main bank to director a/c

Do you mean a director took a loan from the company which they have now repaid into the client account? Then that would just be a transfer from director’s loan to the client account. For a loan repayment the DL account balance should be going down, not up.

No, it’s that we the company have paid expenses for our client, but the client is now returning the funds to us.

I am simply logging these items in our director’s loan account, but when the credit comes back into the clients bacnk account and I tag the director’s loan account for this Quickfile puts it as a debit on the loan account when it should be a credit.

Any advice?

If you’re looking at the balance sheet or nominal account view then debit is correct - with bank accounts money in is a debit and money out is a credit (which seems backwards when you’re used to seeing statements from your bank, but those show the bank’s view of you whereas QuickFile shows your view of the bank).

Are you sure your question is correct. Seems a bit of a confusion.

1. Why would you pay a client through a directors loan account. You can but its a bit unusual.
  2. You say “a payment is returned to the clients account for a director’s loan return” doesnt make sense.
    Do you mean you have a client who has loaned an amount to the Director so thats gone back to the client.
    Seems your client has 2 objectives. 1 as a client 2. as a loan provider?
    Even if its that complex just create tags for that client.

Further to the following post:

I think it would be easier if I had a dedicated ledger within quickfile that logs our owed funds.

What would you recommend for me to do this?