Reversing/removing a bad debt nominal ledger entry

I have inadvertently posted a few bad debt entries while ‘playing about’ wrt handling bad debt and credit note options. These bad debt entries (multiples of same invoices) are screwing up the real bad debt position and I want to remove them from the chart of accounts or wherever I need to do it. However, I cannot see a way to do this despite many hours of trying. Screenshot is attached.

Hi @Ian_Dobbin

You can reverse it by going to More Options >> Cancel Bad Debt:

This creates a reversal of the entries originally made by the bad debt write off.

That is what I did but as you can see, the entries remain and the bad debt is overstated

Hi Mathew …… The bad debt has gone i.e. I see the three invoices as outstanding in Sales and Dashboard but there is no way to delete the entries showing in the Bad Debt, Chart of Accounts i.e. no delete function

Hi @Ian_Dobbin

It remains on the account as a trace.

However, if you delete the invoice, and then restore it, it will clear the bad debt from the Chart of Accounts.

Hi Mathew - thank you for the info and I’ll try this later and update the forum.

1 Like

HI Mathew …. when you delete and restore the invoice, how would I do this?
If I delete an invoice do I have to manually recreate the invoice or what is the Restore function?
Also, If I delete it, what happens to the VAT position noting that I have already submitted a VAT return containing these unpaid invoices.

Best

Ian

If the invoice has already been declared in a VAT return, it’s likely to be locked, so deleting it wouldn’t be possible.

All invoices are “soft-deleted”, so they’re not removed completely, just “hidden” and removed from any figures (e.g. profit and loss). Restoring it is as easy as clicking a button.

If the invoice is locked, then, unfortunately, you may have to just leave it as it is. If you’ve recorded a cancellation of the bad debt too, then it would cancel itself out.

Yes indeed, the invoices are locked so can’t use this method.
Could I restore my last monthly backup (before I screwed around) and then update with any new transactions since that point to get me back to today?
If so, how do I restore my last QF backup? I see that there are circa 15 files in the backup.

Best

Ian

You’re not able to restore from a back up unfortunately. Let me get some account details from you in the private message, and I’ll take a look to see what we can do from our end.