Rolled back VAT returns

Hi, I have mad e aboo boo and rolled back the submitted VAT returns. Mainly out of frustration. I have checked HMRC and it has said I have not submitted any returns for 2019 but QF says I have. So by rolling it back i thought I could redo it and it work. I use QF for two other companies I have and done exactly the same thing and they have submitted the same and also show up on HMRC. How do I now submit the returns again??

Hi @ChellePS

What was the state of the VAT returns on your account? They should be showing as “SUBMITTED”, and show a correlation ID from HMRC if you view them. If they’ve been submitted as part of MTD, you should also see a period reference.

Once a VAT return has been rolled back, you can’t edit or re-submit it. Instead, you could just create a new VAT return and submit it again. However, if HMRC have received it previously, submitting it again will result in the return being rejected. You can certainly try it though and see if they accept it or not.

Hi, The reason I rolled it back is because HMRC have said I have not submitted any for 2019. Which I have done through QF because I had the correlation ID. I done the same with two other companies and they are showing as submitted on HMRC. So not sure how its showing up different. I can’t even generate a new return. So i’m pretty screwed at the moment.

If it’s showing with a correlation ID, HMRC have accepted the return. However, it’s worth looking at the bottom of the return too to see if there are any errors. Let me send you a private message, and I’ll be able to confirm the situation with your account then.

Hi,

I am having a similar issue where I rolled back the VAT return because I mistakenly submitted figures for a longer period than a quarter. HMRC have confirmed they did not receive it and have asked I contact you to resubmit.

Also, there are earlier periods that are required to be submitted but not appearing in Quickfile which HMRC have asked to notify you to try to rectify.

Thanks

Hi @Book_Keeperer,

HMRC are in control of the periods that are available for you to submit returns for.

If you go to Reports >> HMRC you should be able to see the open periods here.

You will have to submit the returns in chronological order from oldest to newest

Thanks but the one I rolled back has a status of filed and no ability to resubmit which HMRC says they have not received. Should this not be near realtime to reflect at HMRC? How do I resubmit please?

All other periods I can see has a status of Open and the ability to submit.

Hi @Book_Keeperer

Just to confirm, when you view the list of periods, is the period in question showing as “Open” or “Filed”?

If it says filed, HMRC have received it, and this would be reflected on your HMRC account too. Just log into their website directly and you should see this there.

It is showing as Filed. I checked HMRC acccount and spoke with HMRC earlier today but no record of the submission. Could this be due to the fact that I rolled back shortly after I had submitted it?

Also, HMRC are adamant that there should be a mechanism that Quickfile can use to resubmit as I had incorrectly included a longer period than the required quarter in this submission. PLEASE HELP.

There are two different lists that are being talked about in this thread. When you go to Reports -> VAT Returns, the list you see on that page is the list of VAT returns you have prepared in QuickFile including ones that have not been submitted online. When you then click on the “+ Create” button, the list that pops up there is taken directly from your HMRC online account and gives the periods that they are expecting you to file or to have already filed. This latter list should be identical to what you see when logging in to the government gateway website with the same user ID.

If the period is showing as “open” in the popup list (from HMRC) but “submitted” in the QuickFile list, then it should just be a matter of rolling back the QuickFile one and then creating a new return for the open period. If it shows as “filed” in the popup list then that means it should also be showing as filed on the HMRC website - if you click the “view” link for a “filed” period and then the “view original submission” button that’ll tell you the submission date and the “HMRC receipt ID” which confirms the submission.

Okay. So what do I need to do retract the filed return with HMRC receipt ID, correct it by submitting all previous open periods to avoid quickfile automatically bringing forward all items from these previous open periods and resubmit the latest VAT return with the right quarterly figures (without the brought forward figures greater than a quarter)?

Hi @Book_Keeperer,

You will need to speak with HMRC to open up that period again, but yes you’ll need to submit all periods starting from the oldest first to avoid QuickFile bringing in the wrong transactions to the newer periods

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.