Rolling Back a VAT Return

How do I roll back a saved return? In preview the return there is nothing to select to roll back the return.

Hello @Meon

Returns need to be submitted or rolled back in chronological order.

So for example, in your account your will need to rollback the 1 Jan 2023 - 31 Mar 2023 return before rolling back the 1 Oct 2022 - 31 Dec 2022 return.

Steve,

Thank you for your response.

In fact, I wish to roll back the 1 Oct 2022 - 31 Dec 2022 return and then the previous quarter but as said previously I can’t get it to work. Is this because I have already submitted 1 Jan 2023- 31 March 2023?

The first question to ask is why do you believe you need to roll the return back? If you made errors in a prior return then unless HMRC have specifically told you otherwise it’s almost always better to leave the old returns alone and make the correction in your next return - you can create missing invoices/purchases/payments/credits in QuickFile with the date they should have had originally (back in an earlier quarter) and these will be correctly included in the next available return automatically, with no need to roll anything back.

Hello @Meon

You need to

• Rollback 1 Jan 2023 - 31 Mar 2023
  • Rollback 1 Oct 2022 - 31 Dec 2022
  • You can then submit 1 Oct 2022 - 31 Dec 2022
  • You will need to recreate and “SAVE” the return again for the period 1 Jan 2023 - 31 Mar 2023 as this period has been submitted and you can not submit it again.

To do this

• Disable online filing in your QuickFile settings (the “HMRC account” dropdown)
  • Create and save a new VAT return for the same period
  • Turn online filing back on

@Meon This is the part that gets slightly tricky - if the numbers that QuickFile calculates for the new return do not match the numbers you originally submitted for this period then you would need to apply manual adjustments to the new return to make it agree with the original submission, and then apply the same adjustments in reverse when you come to submit your next return.

It’s this back and forth adjustment dance that makes me say you should think of rollback as an absolute last resort when there’s no way to make the fixes just in your next return (e.g. if you’ve missed out a prior period completely and have been told by HMRC that you need to submit it late).

Steve,

Thanks for the explanation which seems clear but

There is no obvious ‘QuickFile settings’ the only HMRC dropdown is in Reports.

I am unable to find a Disable online filing, are you referring to disconnect in the screenshot above?

I only have the free version and I have a mac

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 12.33.40.png

Hello @Meon

The setting is in Reports > Vat Returns > Settings

Further to this email.

It looks like I should be using your QuickFile VAT Bridging Module. As I use Excel spreadsheet and have only come to you because of Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT

Would this be correct as I don’t need any book keeping software?

Hello @Meon

Method 1
QuickFile is free up to the first 1000 nominal postings in a rolling 12 month period then £60 + vat per year after that.
More information on pricing can be found in the link below.
QuickFile Pricing.

Method 2
We do offer a Bridging module if you are not using QuickFile to store your accounts which would allow you to do MTD submissions.

Please note: VAT Bridging is accessible at no extra cost for those with an active Power User Subscription (£60 + vat per year) or Affinity managed account. On the free tier you will be able to file your first Bridging VAT Return at no cost, after which you will need to obtain an Affinity or Power User Subscription.

More information on pricing can be found in the link below.
https://support.quickfile.co.uk/t/vat-bridging/26619

You are currently using Method 1 to do your submissions (you have only entered 106 transactions since march) and are on our free tier.

You can switch to using the bridging module in Reports > Vat Returns > Settings if you wish but please read about the method 2 costs above.

Steve,

Many thanks, that has now worked. I managed to submit to HMRC the 1 Oct 2022 - 31 Dec 2022 but it took with it the amounts from 1st July 2022 - 30 Sept 2022! Yes, the dates were correct.

Subsequently, the 1 April to 30 June 2023 is not adding up correctly. Oh dear this is exhausting!

Ian,

I sent this message to Steve on Monday but I think he could be on holiday.

He sorted out the problems I was having. I then started on the next quarter 1st April to 30th June put on the purchases on and created a VAT report only to find that it doesn’t add up correctly. I have tried deleting and re-creating the purchase to no effect.

Perhaps you could help me.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @Meon

I have just had a look at your account (I turned online filing back on to generate a return).

Subsequently, the 1 April to 30 June 2023 is not adding up correctly

Is there something missing on the return or something extra when you click the magnifying glass on box 4.

I notice you are on cash accounting, under this scheme invoices are added to the return based on the payment date.

As a result invoices 23 and 26 would not show on this period (1 April to 30 June 2023) as the payment dates fall in the next period

If you have entered the payment dates incorrectly you can locate the payments in the bank and edit the dates before re generating the return.

Thank you very much that has worked.

You wrote: “I notice you are on cash accounting, under this scheme invoices are added to the return based on the payment date”

This system works for me but I would prefer to use a less complicated scheme on your free software? I only need to submit returns to HMRC for purchases. I don’t need a connection to the bank account.

Hello @Meon

Under cash accounting you pay vat at the point money changes hands (the tax point) rather than accrual accounting which is based on the invoice dates. (GOV.CO.UK - Vat Cash Scheme)

There are a number of schemes you can set up, you can change schemes in the Reports > Vat Returns > Settings screen. It is more than likely you will have to make an adjustment on the vat return for the crossover.

Please consult your accountant for more advice on this.