Sales Invoice with expenditure deductions

Hi helpful people.
Is it possible, when entering a sales invoice that also has expense deductions, to enter the sale and the expense into its correct expense nominal account, all within the sales invoice, trust that makes sense?
I feel this would be very helpful, certainly for me.
John

Hello @jm23bg

I just want to be sure we’re on the same wavelength - are you looking to charge an expense to a client (therefore including it in the sales invoice), but looking to put it to the expense nominal code rather than a sales on? So, to “Travelling” for example, rather than “General Sales”?

When entering a self billing invoice received from a client into the accounts,
John

Hi yes, say enter it into “travelling” rather than general sales.
John

Thanks for confirming! :slight_smile:

It’s not possible to do this directly from the sales invoice unless it’s a custom nominal code. So you could create one, for example “Client Travelling”, log all your travelling there and set it to be used in sales invoices, by clicking the cog in the Chart of Accounts Report (Reports >> Chart of Accounts). This will show something like the below, where you have a check box to enable it for sales invoices:

The other option is to use the rebill feature, which will create a new sales invoice for you based on the purchase invoice. If you contra the expenses, it will automatically use the same nominal codes. More info on this here.

Your first suggestion will work well for me, but when running the job P/L report, I need the “sales expense” to show below along with the rest of the “expenses” relevant to the job, is that possible, if not could it be put on the request list as this would help enormously?

If you’re rebilling them against the same nominal code that the expense was originally recorded against, then no it wouldn’t be possible. I don’t think this is something that is likely to change either if I’m honest due to the nature of the calculations that take place here.

If you want the original expense to show, along with the amount paid by the client, you would either have to record it against a sales nominal code (e.g. General Sales, or create your own), or create a custom expense code and allow it to be used for sales invoices.

No, I am not rebilling, I am happy to create a custom expense code to be used with the sales invoice, all that is fine.
Its when I run a Job P/L, it only shows the net sales of the invoice, I cannot see the expenses that go on the sales invoice

Oooops
Ie the Nominal custom expense code that has been created, is not shown in the Job P/L
Hope that helps.
All is well other than the Job P/L, showing the net sales value of the invoice rather than the sales and expenses in the created code.
John

Apologies if I’m not following this correctly, but I just want to clarify the situation.

Would I be right to think your trying to view a profit and loss report for a particular job, but see the income and the expenses? And by doing this, you’re trying to view the profit for that invoice, taking into account the expenses?

Yes, I am viewing the profit and loss for a job.
It has a number of expenses allocated to the job over time, then we enter one self billing/completion statement sales invoice, which has a number of expense deductions.
When entering the sales invoice (which may have a number of sales n/l codes and a number of purchase n/l codes) these expenses can be added to a created expense n/l, great, but when I run the job p/l the sales invoice is showing as the net figure and cannot see the individual sales or expenses in the n/l codes allocated to it.
In the job P/L, I would like the gross sales listed in their own codes and the expense deductions (in the sales invoice) to be listed with heir codes alongside the other expenses that had accrued over time.
Hope that makes sense and seems to me the correct way to produce the job P/L.
John

Having said that, if the sales invoice showed all the N/L codes and ended with the net figure, that is a long way towards where I want to be.
John

If you have purchase invoices (expenses) and sales invoices (income) for a particular job, you can use project tags to give you a breakdown based on those particular invoices.

The only way to show income minus expenditure on the same nominal code (and therefore show just the net value), would be to use the same code for both lines on the invoice, with the expenditure entered as a minus figure. The default system codes don’t support this, but you can create a custom code for it.

I am sorry there is still a misunderstanding.
I do not want “to show income minus expenditure on the same nominal code (and therefore show just the net value)” that is what happens now, I want them to show in the JOB P/L in there own respective codes, whether that be a sales code or expense code. Please help.
John

Hi John,

That shouldn’t be happening if you’re allocating the expense items on the sales invoice to their own nominal ledger codes (as per example below). The P&L doesn’t have any concept of jobs (that’s something that’s handled in projects), but it will separate out cumulative amounts on the sales and expense ledgers.

P&L Presentation

That is exactly how I want it.
Hmmm, not sure what I am doing wrong, I will check again, sorry.
John

If it makes things easier we can private message you to get some info on your account and the relevant invoice? Then we can see what you’re seeing.

yes, please can you do that

Hi I do mean Project P/L not Jobs

Looking again, I don’t think that is a project P?L, rather just a P/L???
John