Sales invoices going to junk

We use QF to send out our sales invoices.

Lately more and more of them seem to not be getting opened by customers who then say the email went into their junk folder.

What can we do to stop this as it is seriously affecting our cashflow and wasting a lot of our time.

Hi @matt.gilmore

One option to look at would be to use your own SMTP server rather than QuickFile’s. This would mean the emails come from you directly.

We have a guide on this here, but please let us know if you need any help.

Thanks for reply. I received this in the SMTP settings
our SMTP settings are deactivated as there were three consecutive errors. Please correct the settings again and reactivate.

Hello @Oneillms1

I would first try other ports (e.g. 25, 465 or 587) if it still fails you would need to contact your mail provider for additional help

Edit: I also fount this which may help

1 Like

I will try a different Port.

It looks like there was a problem reaching your SMTP service
Error Message Your SMTP settings are deactivated as there were three consecutive errors . Please correct the settings again and reactivate.
More Details One or more errors occurred. → Failed to send mail 17528886 via SMTP host ‘smtp.gmail.com’. Reference: ‘xxxxxxxxxx’; SenderEmail: ‘info@xxxxxx.com’; Recipients: ‘xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.co.uk’; Num. Attachments: ‘0’. → Service not available, closing transmission channel. The server response was: 4.3.0 Temporary System Problem. Try again later (10). c20-20020a7bc854000000b003fee0741b8csm1494001wml.23 - gsmtp

Hi @Oneillms1

If you’re using Gmail or Google Workspace, the below settings have worked for other users -

Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
STARTTLS: Enabled
Username: email address of the inbox
Password: your password

However, if you’re using 2 factor authentication on your email account, you will need to create an app password. We have a guide on this here: Using a 2-step verification Google Account with QuickFile

Having used my own SMTP server since day one (9 years ago) and had this issue of invoices ending up in peoples spam/junk I don’t think SMTP is the solution. It is the format/content of the message that is the issue.

Not sure if this has been resolved as yet?
Still receiving this message “It looks like there was a problem reaching your SMTP service”

Error Message The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Authentication Required. For more information, go to

Hello @Oneillms1

Did you see mats suggestion?

Error Message The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Authentication Required. For more information, go to
More Details –

Tried everything. inc deleting and starting again but no luck,
Clients are not getting their mail,

Hello @Oneillms1

Is it Gmail or Google Workspace?
Do you have 2 factor authentication on your email account?

Hi there its Gmail
I have but i turned it off and tried. no joy so i turned it back on again

Thanks

Hello @Oneillms1

We have a number of customers using Gmail using port 25 or 567 successfully.

If 2 factor authentication is turned on you will need an app password.

Hi 2 factor authentication on what google or quickfile? how do i go about this?

\Now when i click on the SMTP this message appears
An activation code has been sent to you using your SMTP mail server settings.
Please enter the code here to activate your settings. [[Change Settings]]

now i cant see a code anywhere

It would be on Google.

But if you’re seeing the activation code message, it means we were able to successfully connect and attempt sending an email. This would be sent to the email address you specified (not the one you’re sending from).

Hi there i didn’t receive any code. So i restarted the process again .
But same message appears

Hi all. seriously need help. I have tried everything here and no luck
100% of our invoices go via email but most or none of our clients are receiving their invoices or goes into spam.

This is the message i receive when i try to set up a new SMTP .

account settings> SMTP Settings and so on

The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Authentication Required. For more information, go to
More Details –

With 2 factor auth enabled for your Google account you can generate random “app passwords” for tools like QuickFile that only support signing in with a username and password, not the special OAuth based “sign in with Google” flow.