Single payment for two customers

Hi
I’ve received a single payment (by bank transfer) which covers four invoices to two different customers (husband and wife - hence the single payment). What is the best way to deal with this. It’s into a bank account that I have an open banking feed set up on.

Options I can see are

1. delete the banking transaction and replace it with two separate transactions and hope that the feed doesn’t go and reimport it and mess everything up
  2. Create some sort of dummy account to pay the invoices off from and then tag the bank transaction as a transfer from that account

As a kind of wider question, I tried paying down multiple invoices, but could only pay them down for one customer. Which left a transaction that was tagged, but had an unallocated amount. I couldn’t see any obvious way to then tag that unallocated amount.

Those are indeed the two available options. In QuickFile one “payment” can only ever be assigned to a single customer (or supplier, in the case of purchase payments). It can pay a single invoice, part of an invoice, or split across several invoices, but only ever one customer at a time.

I have a dummy bank account I call “mixed payments” that I use for precisely this situation, logging payments against the individual invoices using the mixed payments account, then tagging the current account transaction as a bank transfer.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.