SMTP timed out - Krystal Hosting

Ive tried various methods to get my smtp server to work with quickfile, and still not got anywhere.

I’ve tried changing the port numbers as suggested in other threads. i keep getting this message:
Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)

I’ve contacted Krystal Hosting and they’ve asked the following:
Please ask them to check they’re allowing connections to ‘nitrogen.cloudhosting.co.uk
If they are, ask them to confirm the IP it would be connecting from

thay have also stated: The ‘lincs360.quickfile.com’ domain points to ‘52.169.73.236’ - There are no connections from it reaching our server. In this case it’s likely the firewall on their end

Hi @Kevin_Lynes

There was another user with an issue connecting to Krystal SMTP, although this was a while back. It may be worth trying their suggestion however. The thread can be found here: SMTP help - Krystal Hosting

We don’t actively block connections for SMTP, so I can confirm there are no restrictions on the cloudhosting domain name.

Unfortunately I’m not able to confirm the IP address used as we use a range of IP addresses as part of the scaling setup used to run QuickFile. But the IP address shouldn’t be blocked, as I am aware of other users using Krystal for SMTP.

Tried the solution on the other thread, but it didn’t work

Are you able to tell us what settings you are using (excluding the username and password), and any details of error message(s) you’re seeing within QuickFile, please?

The operation has timed out.
Your SMTP server did not reply in a timely fashion. Please ensure the port number is correct and any firewall on the SMTP server is allowing outside access.
Port 465
From address hello@lincs360.com
From name Lincs360
Host name nitrogen.cloudhosting.co.uk

This is their mail server saying that the HELO/EHLO value sent by QuickFile’s server is not valid according to a strict interpretation of the RFC - typically that the sending server is using a bare hostname

EHLO localhost

rather than a fully qualified hostname with domain suffix

EHLO mail.quickfile.co.uk

Krystal support: Without the IP address connecting then there’s little we can do to assist I’m afraid

Not sure what to do with this information. But i only get the HELO error message when i type in any other port except 465

Hi @Kevin_Lynes

If you know the date and time that you’re attempting to set up the connection, I would imagine Krystal would be able to pick up the attempt based on this and the email address.

This won’t work with QuickFile - you need to use either port 25 or port 587. Port 465 is for an older type of “secure SMTP” where the server expects the client to immediately start negotiating TLS on connection, the client library QuickFile is based on only supports the newer STARTTLS mechanism where it connects first on the normal port number (25 or 587) and then issues a STARTTLS command to “upgrade” to a secure tunnel.

1 Like

Krystal say they cant do that, “We have tens of thousands of connections all coming in at the same time, it’d be impossible to filter something like that out by hand. Surely they can tell you the IP address they connect from?”

They say they only support 465

That doesn’t agree with what their own website says: Configure your email client - Krystal Hosting Knowledge Base states

The final detail is the SMTP port. Our servers, and most modern email clients are capable of using a newer encryption (called STARTTLS) and this is served by Port 587. If your email client is older and only supports SSL then you can use Port 465.

Just to confirm, a colleague has just had a look at what set ups are being used for SMTP and using the cloud hosting domain name. These are using port 587.

This is from active SMTP set ups on QuickFile.

The terminology around secure connections, particularly with email, is horribly confused with layers of history. These days all secure connections use a protocol called TLS, but TLS used to be called SSL and that name is still used by some people. In the case of email the term “SSL” is usually taken to mean “immediate-TLS-on-connection” which uses port 465 (for SMTP) or 993 (for IMAP), and “TLS” is taken to mean “connect to the normal port then upgrade with STARTTLS”, but the actual protocol is called TLS in both cases.

Update: after some twoing and froing, it seems that port 587 does work, after their support said they dont support it?!?!?!?!

1 Like

Glad to hear you managed to get this working :slight_smile:
Certainly worth letting Krystal know that you’ve managed to get it working too.

Any further problems, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

I suggested that he look into the matter and here is the reply:
It’s not something that needs looking into, if it has let you connect then we must support 587 and I was mistaken.

It depends what question you asked - if you asked them “which port should I use for SSL” then the common interpretation of that in sysadmin circles would suggest 465. If you asked them “does your SMTP service support STARTTLS” then they might have said “yes, on port 587”

I quoted your posts and they were adamant that 465 was the only port they supported for smtp full stop. I think that the operator i spoke to wasn’t aware of all the facts regarding what Krystal support and don’t support. Least he is now