SMTP help - Krystal Hosting

I know this is probably a webhosting problem, i have emailed them also but thought I’d post here to see if i have entered some wrong details.

I am getting the below.

Error Message The operation has timed out.
More Details Your SMTP server did not reply in a timely fashion. Please ensure the port number is correct and any firewall on the SMTP server is allowing outside access.

I have added the ip blocks 5.27.17.178/192 to the SPF as i believe this should allow access (Webhosting novice though so i may be wrong)

Thoughts on anything else i could try?

Hosting is Krystal

Hi @Ashley_Dyer

Firstly, there’s no need to add the SPF record anymore seems it’s an SMTP connection, so all email will be sent from your mail server (which should already be permitted anyway).

Krystal I believe is cPanel? From past experience, cPanel can be a bit slower to respond, but this shouldn’t cause a big issue. However, if it is cPanel, there should be an option to view the mail server settings, so it’s worth checking there to ensure the port is correct (which could cause the timeout for example).

Thanks for your reply, told you i was a novice - was just trying anything that i had found via google!

cPanel yes - i believe i have all the settings correct including the port, Krystal seem to think that it should be working, i have replied to inform them that it isn’t, i assume there isn’t anything else that can be done this end and it must be down to Krystal?

Hi @Ashley_Dyer

I’ve located your account and run a quick test. I’ve let this run for almost 2 minutes and the connection still times out.

Initially, I would have said perhaps the mail server is incorrect, but this name does resolve to an IP address correctly. So assuming the IP is infact the home of your mail server, that seems correct.

However, I’ve done a bit more digging and found that perhaps this isn’t the case. An email guide by Krystal suggests you should use your server name (see step 8 in the linked guide).

Are you able to give this a go please? If you don’t know your server’s name, let me know.

Thanks for looking into this more - I tried the server name (Archimedes.krystal.co.uk) but the same…

Krystal seem to think it should work, have told them it still is’nt and so waiting on a response

Thanks for the update @Ashley_Dyer.

Everything seems to be working as expected on our end but as I mentioned above, the connection is timing out, which suggests it’s something on Krystal’s side.

Hi Mathew,

See latest message from Krystal below…

"
Hello Ashley,

Thank you for your reply.

I would recommend contacting them to confirm this is 100% connecting over SSL, the method in the screenshot appears to be the only option and is not clear.

It would also be worth asking them the IP that is trying to connect to we can check this is not being blocked.

"

Could you let me know the IP so i can get them to check.

Thanks

Ashley

Hi @Ashley_Dyer

Can you get the SMTP details from Krystal please and I will check what is on your account compared to those supplied by them?

Hi Mathew,

I’ve fixed it!

The SMTP port to use is 525 - I was confused as on cPanel it tells me to use 465 but i read the below guide “https://krystal.co.uk/guides/email/how-to-manually-test-connectivity-to-imap-pop-smtp-services

and then it mentions 525…

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

That’s great news - thanks for letting us know!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.