Special VAT registration (if you buy services from outside UK)

Hey,

I had a company in Slovenia before and was not registered for VAT. But I still had to do a registration for special VAT number - because I had to pay VAT for all the electronic services bought from outside my country.

I am now in UK and have a Ltd. here and would like to know how do I register for this special VAT number here. Is this VIES number or how do this things go here. I had accountant taking care of all that in Slovenia, but now I have only a bookeeper and want to learn and do thiese things by myself.

Thanks for help :slight_smile:

Hi,

if you need to become VAT registered the link is here: https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/newbusiness/business-allowed and if you are talking about the MOSS system then you can use a regular VAT number to enrol in the MOSS system.

Kind regards,
Chris

Thank you so much. MOSS is what I need, it seems. Do you know - how it works for companies that are not registered for VAT?

Because you mention: “You can use a regular VAT number to enrol in the MOSS system”

So how do I apply for VAT only as MOSS, but not for regular VAT (so I don’t have to charge my customers VAT)?

Thanks in advance for you help :slightly_smiling:

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed reply. Unfortunately you must be VAT registered to use the MOSS system. This means you would have to charge VAT to your customers. May I ask do you sell to businesses or consumers?

Kind regards,
Chris