Square Payments

I’ve stopped paying monthly fees to accept credit/debit cards, and now use the SQUARE payments system for both website based and mobile payments. https://squareup.com/gb

Any chance it could become an integrated option?

Thanks for getting in touch Robert. I did a quick search on the forum but I don’t believe this request has come up before. I will leave it here as an integration request and we will monitor interest in this feature going forward.

Thanks!

Many thanks.

It seems very new, but is the first easy sign-up, fee free, payments system that can be used totally flexibly.

• Integrates with shopping carts
  • Works with invoice links
  • Has a virtual terminal capability
  • Works from mobile apps
  • Has a chip & pin and contactless reader

My website customers are dumping Sagepay and Worldpay etc. as fast as they can to save the monthly fees. Some pay fees like £30/month for a card machine in-house, £10/month for a gateway plus £20/month for a merchant account… which is nuts when the same capability is available FREE. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not “free”, rather “with a different pricing structure” where it all rolls into a higher percentage on each transaction rather than a lower percentage plus a monthly fee. I used to use Payleven in my shop but switched to a rented Barclaycard machine as the monthly subscription was offset by much cheaper percentages.

For low turnover businesses something like Square/SumUp/iZettle will be cheaper overall but as turnover grows the higher percentage becomes more significant.

I looked at these guys a while back and my understanding was that they charged a flat fee of 1.75% on any card and regardless of the number of transaction processed.

Based on the £60pm cited you would still need to be at somewhat less than a £3,000pm to see any real advantage.

They do have an amazing set of API’s though.

I create eCommerce websites for small businesses that don’t principally trade online, so their major concern is that they pay that £60 per month for the facility whether they get payments through the site or not. It’s a case of doing enough to justify the extra cost of the gateway.

There’s a break-even point, where they’ve done enough trade to justify a subscription gateway over PayPal etc., the point being that with MOST of the non-subscription services like iZettle or SumUp, there’s no gateway - so yes, the API and ready-made integrations for Square give it a huge advantage in that arena. By using it to start up and grow the business online, businesses save a lot. Going from zero online trade to £3000+ is rather nice without a monthly fee or a 36 month contract - as Streamline sold to one poor guy here!

It’s my opinion that the reason for contract tie-ins (and making them long) is the banks’ fear of services like Square suddenly booming and killing the golden goose that Sagepay, Worldpay, and Streamline etc. have been benefiting from for so long. I’d like to help kill it, to be honest, hence my request to get Square set up in Quickfile. The major banks fleece people enough with interest, fees, and penalty charges, without getting a slice of every transaction made on the web as well.

Point well made.
I was not criticising, just pointing out the break even level as I understood it.

Certainly I would agree that it is worth considering for low t/o businesses or those where their average t/o over a year falls below the break even threshold.

I guess it would be reasonably straight forward for QF to determine how many of their users, by turnover, would benefit by an integration to Square.
Only issue I can foresee is that most would probably be using QF subscription free based on their transaction level so a cost benefit analysis could well fail.

Hi Quickfile.

I too would welcome square payment integration.

I love QuickFile but I also love Sqaure payments.

Please can someone very smart integrate the two.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks.

1 Like

me too square is ok for me

Square for me too please

In the past twelve months I have converted every customer that used Worldpay, and every customer the used Sagepay, plus several that used Paypal, to using Square payments for their business - at THEIR request.

I’ve spent the year creating invoices in Quickfile, then taking on the additional tasks of duplicating the details on a Square payment request, and then when I get the chance, manually updating Quickfile Invoices as paid.

An integration here is at least as desirable as the one that exists for Go Cardless - actually far more so. When I suggested Go Cardless to Quickfile and put them in touch with each other, there was a very quick response, and integration happened within a few weeks.

Frankly, Square is a beautiful system for small traders, and as long as customers find it weird to be setting up a DD authority for 'occasional invoices, Square will be used more. Come on Quickfile, let’s have it integrated.

I would like to try Square payment system if it was integrated with Quickfile

We have also moved over to square for payments it being integrated would be fantastic

Hi all,
I moved this integration request to features so folks can give their vote now in the top left corner of this article. RGCreative you opened this request so I hope the move is ok for you.

1 Like

This request isn’t going to get far unless it becomes proactive. Quickfile guys, why don’t you ask all your customers whether the integration would be a good idea for them? I’m sure you’d get an overwhelming YES. Even those asking here haven’t voted for it… because they don’t know they can! Please promote the option to test the response.

In the past year, 75% of my business associates and clients have switched to Square for payment provision. Some of them have done this because whilst GoCardless charges less, it takes ten business days to get paid, whereas SQAURE deposits the money within 24 hours. Small businesses NEED this kind of cashflow even if it does cost a little more.

Looks like they have a good developer platform and clear documentation so that’s always a good start.

How were you envisaging this to work? From what I can gather they provide the terminal for taking the card payments in person, so would the priortity be to have these payments feeding in real time to QuickFile? They appear to have an e-commerce integration too, so it may be possible to embed the Square payment option within the client invoice preview screen.

With each new API we add there’s a long term commitment to maintaining that API through all the version changes. It’s a demand on our resources, so any hesitation on our side really comes down to this point. If it’s a solid platform with great potential (how we feel about GoCardless) then I think there’s a strong case.

1 Like

Hi Glenn,
I created a square integration over zapier to quickfile to create invoices and bank account entries. The zap is working okay but the wrong amount is transferred.
I made a test transaction over £1 on my square account:
screencapture-squareup-com-dashboard-sales-transactions-1588180398035

But Square, I think, transfers the amounts in pence to zapier, in my test case 100:
screencapture-zapier-com-app-editor-85756922-nodes-85756922-sample-1588180278201
And the quickfile app in zapier picks this up as £100 and creates an invoice and bank entry over £100.
screencapture-rhcounselling-quickfile-co-uk-sales-1588180438043

Is there anything you or I could do to get the right amount (£1)? I asked square but they said that is the way they transfer the data.

Your help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

@rhc we’ve built a direct Square integration and are currently going through the test and deployment phase. While it may be possible to adjust the Zapier handling with some custom rules, I think you’ll find the direct integration to be far more comprehensive. If you’re happy to be part of the beta group we can let you know as soon as this is live?

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for your quick reply. That would be great if you could add me to your test group.
At the moment I use sumup and it is a pain to get all transaction into quickfile. They don’t support zapier or anything else, they also very but in customer support and help. So, I was looking for an alternative and found square. I was testing square in the last couple of month and it looks like they are pretty good.
So, long things short, yes I would be very happy to test square.

1 more thing, I hope that is okay: Over zapier, when a new transaction is send to quickfile it creates an invoice and except the amount everything looks fine. When there is no client so far with that name it creates a new client, but only the name is in the clients account. During the payment transaction the client provides everything important for the client account like address, email, phone and so on and square is sending this information but quickfile does not pick up all the information. As an feature in your new direct integration it would be fab if the client account would be created/filled completely, not only the name. That would me save a lot of time and may other people as well.

Thanks again

I’d like to be part of the beta group please.