Stripe and Strong Customer Authentication

Today I’ve received an email from Stripe about the forthcoming Strong Customer Authentication protocol. They stated that this is likely to have an impact on my business. The link they directed me to is here:

https://stripe.com/guides/strong-customer-authentication

At the moment Stripe works brilliantly for me.
What is quickfile doing on this front. Is stripe going to continue to be usable in the same way?
Its quite integral to my business so I would hope that its still going to work

Many thanks (great software by the way - keep up the good work)

Hi @theaccountingstudio

We have received the same email this morning and our development team will take a closer look at this in due course.

However, there are 2 key things that stand out to me:

1. This is a EU change in September. Given the UK is scheduled to leave the EU in March (unless that changes), this may actually have no impact at all. Although this is something we will keep an eye on.

2. One of the things Stripe offers is integrations with other software packages and websites, so personally, I think this will be usable in the same or at the very least, similar, way for the foreseeable future. Although I don’t work for Stripe.

Until our team investigate this further, it’s difficult to say what will change at this stage. Although, if any changes are required, they will be made.

1 Like

What’s the latest on this topic? Have you implemented changes to be compliant and functional or did I miss an announcement on this?

Hi @admin1

Nothing has been implemented on this as of yet.

However, I believe that the major part of the change is when the customer isn’t present (e.g. for subscriptions), which isn’t currently supported by QuickFile - only when the customer is present.

These changes aren’t due to go live until mid-September. It’s still on our radar to investigate however.

From 14 September 2019 card payments may require additional authentication because of the EU PSD2 regulation. GoCardless has this page on it https://gocardless.com/blog/sca-strong-customer-authentcation/ - what is going on with QuickFile in terms of preparing for this? Will card payment integrations carry on working?

Hi @sp1

I’ve moved your post to this thread to keep everything in one place. Please see my response above from 9 days ago.

For any one who is interested, and just to clarify the situation regarding GoCardless, this is taken from the link @sp1 shared:

SCA (Strong Customer Authentication) does not apply to GoCardless’ Direct Debit payments service. GoCardless is fully PSD2 compliant, and SCA does not apply to payments made through GoCardless as it uses ‘paperless’ Direct Debit mandates, which are out of scope of SCA.

So, what transactions are affected by SCA?

The main type of transactions that will be impacted are card payments made over the internet.