Submitting a pro forma VAT return

Hi
Is there a way to submit pro forma VAT invoices? We receive these from our investment supplier and historically have manually transferred the entries for our quarterly VAT into HMRC. When I try to do the same with Quickfile it is asking for accounting records and data (which we don’t have).

Our VAT returns always have a zero balance as the VAT amount is withdrawn and paid to HMRC at source (by the investment supplier).

Hello @Osric_Powell

Can I just clarify a few points to make sure I understand correctly.

Is there a way to submit pro forma VAT invoices?

No, a Proforma invoice is like an estimate and is not picked up by the vat return.

We receive these from our investment supplier and historically have manually transferred the entries for our quarterly VAT into HMRC

So were you making manual adjustments to the return to the value of the proforma invoices?

Our VAT returns always have a zero balance as the VAT amount is withdrawn and paid to HMRC at source (by the investment supplier)

Are you trying to submit a nil return?

Hi Steve
Correct, we have been manually transferring the amount like for like box for box from the pro forma to the HMRC.

Yes, all of our VAT returns (amounts owed to HMRC) are nil. Deductions are made at source by the organisation sending us the pro forma…

Hello @Osric_Powell

I would check with HMRC or your accountant if you actually have to enter anything in the boxes at all.

If not you can submit a nil return without making any adjustments.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.